Chapter 18

(A/N): Finally, the chapter we've all been waiting for!

Feel free to listen to I See The Light while reading :-) (Put it on repeat if you need to)

Hope you enjoy!

 The evening sun displayed one last show of it's magnificent orange-yellow rays before finally setting behind the trees. Stars began to make themselves visible in the night sky, twinkling like little jewels adorning the heavens above. The trees softly swayed to the breeze that gently passed by, and grasshoppers began to play their melodies. 

Marinette and Adrien were presently seated next to each other in a beautiful field filled with lavender-colored flowers. The field was surrounded by trees, providing a sense of privacy as well as security for the two companions. A small lantern sat in between them, it's faint light soothing. 

"You're going to catch a cold if you stay out here," Marinette said to Adrien, referring to his wet clothes

Adrien shrugged in response. "I don't really get sick, so I should be fine."

Marinette gave a small nod in acknowledgement before propping her knees up and hugging them to her chest anxiously. 

"You okay?" Adrien asked gently, noticing her anxiety. 

"Yeah...I'm just--Well, you know," Marinette stuttered. "I'm...nervous I guess." she was finally able to say. 

"Nervous of seeing butterflies?"

Marinette shook her head. "No, not exactly. To tell you the truth, I don't even think 'nervous' would be the right word to describe what I'm feeling right now."

Adrien cocked his head to the side curiously. "Then what would be the right word?"

Marinette hesitated before finally whispering, "I'm terrified."

"Terrified? Why?"

"Well," Marinette explained slowly, "All my life, for as long as I can remember, I've been hoping...dreaming that I would finally see those butterflies in flight up close and seeing them light up the entire sky. And now, I'm actually about to see them. Even to this day, I'm still asking myself...is this really happening? Am I actually doing this?"

"Trust me, it's definitely real," chuckled Adrien. "I'll even squeeze all the water out of my shirt and throw it on your face if you want."

They both laughed. 

"But what if..." Marinette said quietly a moments later, "what if it's not...what I've always dreamed it would be?"

Adrien placed his hand gently on her shoulder in reassurance. "It will be," he told her, his emerald-green eyes steadily meeting her bluebell ones.