Chapter 6

"Take it off!"

"No!"

"Are you shy? Is that why you're wearing it?"

"WHAT? You really think a handsome dashing criminal, such as myself, is capable of being shy?"

Marinette thought for a minute, before replying, "Yes."

Chat groaned. He turned his head from Marinette and focused on the path in front of them. While he wasn't looking, Marinette tried once again to sneak her hand onto the buckle of Chat Noir's mask, in an attempt to undo the strap and see his face. But Chat realized just in time and swatted her hand away. 

"Nice try." He told her. 

"Thanks," Marinette replied sarcastically. 

"Soo...are you ready to tell me about your hair yet?" asked Chat, who had already tripped over Marinette's hair about 5 times. 

"Nope." 

"If you expect me to not ask about your hair, how do you expect me to take my mask off?"

Marinette tucked a stray lock behind her ear before she responded with, "Because...well technically I'm not supposed to let anyone see my hair. So I guess you could say it's a secret."

Chat Noir smirked. "And I guess you could say my face is a secret too."

  Before Marinette could reply, she noticed that they had finally arrived at a...place of some sort. The building was shaped like a small house, but looked terribly old and worn down. It's stone bricks were covered in years worth of moss, the windows smeared with dirt and grime, a few shingles from the roof lying here and there, and a rotted wooden sign staked into the ground that read, The Snuggly Kwami. 

"What is this place," Marinette asked, her nose turned up as Chat Noir lead her down the worn grass path to the front door. 

"A place where we're gonna stay for the night," answered Chat simply. 

As they approached the inn, Marinette could hear laughter and shouting, and at one point jumped from hearing a loud smash. 

Once they finally stood in front of the door, Chat Noir gave it two firm taps. A large burly man with a thick beard and unkempt clothing suddenly stood before them. 

"Your finnest room, sir!" Chat Noir grinned. 

The man rolled his eyes and moved aside so that Chat and Marinette could get inside. The air smelled heavily of ale and cider, and most of the tables and chair were either overturned or men were standing on them shouting and yelling. A bar stood at the far side of the room where a stout woman with grey-streaked blond hair attended to a few more customers. 

Marinette had never seen so many human beings in one place before. Admittedly, she was a little frightened. Their behavior was very...wild, she thought. 

Chat Noir tapped her shoulder, and Marinette turned around to face him a little too suddenly. "The innkeeper said there's only one room left," he said. "You can go on up. I'll be outside."

Before Marinette could reply, an unfamiliar man with a green overcoat and hair suddenly grabbed Chat Noir's arm. "You wouldn't happen to be Chat Noir, the kingdom's most wanted criminal, would you?" He growled. 

"....Um, maybe?" Chat Noir answered hesitantly, trying to pull his arm from the strange man's grip. 

But he only tightened his hold and gave Chat Noir a threatening glare. Chat Noir glared back. Marinette reached inside her purse and grabbed her fork, ready to strike. Finally, the man let go of Chat Noir's  arm and left without a word.