Chapter 24

Marinette screamed, or at least tried to after her eyes caught the sight of her foster mother laying in a puddle of blood and the man who was the reason for several of her nightmares looming over her with a dagger.

 "Well, well, well.." Hawk-Boss chuckled when he noticed Adrien standing a few feet away with Marinette in his arms. "Apparently you were able to escape your hanging this evening. Such a pity."

"You know what, Hawky?" growled Adrien with clenched teeth. "You've pissed me off a bunch of times in the past, but now you're really starting to piss me off."

Hawk-Boss laughed-- a cold, evil laugh. "I hope you're not planning on trying to intimidate me with you're use of language and angered facial expressions."

"Well, I didn't say anything about doing that, now did I?"

"Actions speak louder than words, Chat Noir," said Hawk-Boss, as he stepped over Befana's limp body and slowly advanced towards them, gripping his dagger firmly in his hand. "And in your case, your actions are speaking volumes to me right now."

Adrien backed slowly from where he stood, not wanting to give Hawk-Boss the advantage that he sought. "I'm not letting you take her," He said, while sending Hawk-Boss a glare that could have melted steel. 

Hawk-Boss smirked as he continued to proceed. "And what is your purpose for having her? You have no use for her."

"She's not some object or device, you idiot," Adrien snapped. "She's a human being. And she deserves better than being used in your sick games."

Adrien finally backed into a wall, the fear of being trapped finally hitting him like a falling brick wall. 

"I guess it's safe to say that you won't surrender the girl to me without a fight," noted Hawk-Boss. 

"You're darn right I won't."

"Very well."

When he was close enough, Hawkmoth raced towards them, the intention of killing Adrien burning in his eyes. Adrien ducked the moment he attacked them with his daggar. He tried to run to the other side of the room, but another attack from behind caused him to trip and fall. 

Marinette landed onto the ground with a thump. 

"You won't escape from my wrath, Chat Noir," said Hawk-Boss, his face making a terrified grimace as he advanced towards them once more. Adrien frantically looked around at his surroundings and landed his eyes on a flowered vase that was standing a few feet away on a wooden table. He made no hesitation to sprint across the room in a heartbeat and grab it. When he turned around and saw Hawk-Boss head for Marinette, who was still trying to pick herself up off the floor despite her condition, he immediately threw the vase, aiming for Hawk-Boss.

Luckily, it hit him.

Hawk-Boss yelled as glass shards fell everywhere around him, unknowingly dropping his dagger as he held his head in pain. Adrien rushed and grabbed the dagger in a flash, then hurried to Marinette, who was still to weak to move. 

"Adrien..." mumbled Marinette when he finally was at her side once more. "I don't think I can--"

"Yes you can, and you will," said Adrien. "I'm not going to let him take you, even if it means sacrificing my life."

He helped her sit up, but realized that Hawk-Boss was already coming closer from a few feet away. 

He had to come up with something...and quick.