Chapter 20

A merciless storm began to sweep over the fields and trees, causing violent winds and pouring rain. Poor Marinette was sprawled on the ground, barely conscious and unable to move her aching body. She felt the endless pounding of raindrops against her skin, a somewhat soothing relief to her burning body. Besides feeling completely drenched, she felt nothing but pain. 

The biggest pain being her restless heart. 

Where was Adrien? The question settled itself permanently in her mind and wouldn't disappear. She thought of nothing but her last vision before she fell unconscious, which was of Adrien being shot with an arrow and the Akuma Gang hauling him away. She wanted nothing more that to hunt them down and demand they release him...she even would use her hair to strangle them if she had to. 

But she could barely move a muscle, and was constantly slipping in and out of consciousness. 

Why did this have to happen? Marinette thought weakly. What had become one of the most magical moments of her life was now a jarring memory in the her head she wished she could erase forever. And worse, her best friend had been possibly killed and dragged away from her. 

And there was absolutely nothing she could do about it. She was completely helpless.  

Marinette tried raising her head off the ground, but it began to pound so profusely she had to lay back  down again. The rain began to pour harder, and the chilliness of the air started to make her limbs numb. She closed her eyes, tears streaming down her face as she realized she would probably be here forever, and no one would come save her. 

"Marinette!"

A voice so faint came from somewhere far away. Marinette tried to answer but found her voice caught in her throat. She tried to listen again but the sudden thunder from the storm made it hard to hear anything at all. Though it was a foolish wish, she hoped that it was Adrien who had called her name and was now looking for her. 

He would search far and wide across the field, never resting until he found her. She imagined him finding her and stroking her forehead with a kiss, gently picking her up off the ground bridal style, and taking her somewhere, anywhere, away from the agony of the storm. 

Please let it be Adrien...

The rain began to ease, and Marinette could finally hear the stranger's voice a little clearer now. She once again tried to raise herself off the ground and yell for help, but lowered her self back down when pain exploded in her body. 

Befana finally spotted her daughter on the ground, and rushed through the tall grass to reach her, her umbrella flapping in the violent wind. 

When she reached Marinette, she knelt down and embraced her, her voice etched with worry and near desperation. "Oh, my sweet fairy! What have they done to you?"

"Mother?" Marinette croaked in confusion. How did she find her?

Befana placed her hand on Marinette's forehead. "Oh my goodness! You're burning with fever. We need to get you out of her right away!" 

Marinette coughed, her lungs hurting with every breath she took. Befana wrapped her in her cloak and lifted her daughter onto her back, holding the umbrella's handle with her teeth since she needed both hands to carry Marinette. As the storm continued to die down, Befana marched with determination and willpower as she carried Marinette home.