Chapter 25

Mainette's POV:

  The tower, which was once blessed with a warm, cozy atmosphere and was a place of comfort (despite being my prison for 17 years), was now somehow haunted with an unsettling air of death. The silence that came after Adrien had killed Hawk-Boss gave me a horrible feeling of dread as each second flew by. At this point, I felt like I was the only one who was still clinging to the little life that I still had left. Because the other 3 people who were sprawled out on the ground with me never gave any indication or sign showing that they were still breathing, 2 of them obviously dead. 

But Adrien? There was a nagging little voice in my head that told me he somehow survived Hawk-Boss's blow, but after remembering how much blood he lost I couldn't help but lose hope. 

And cry.

Since I barely ate or drank anything these past few hours, and didn't take any medicine to relieve my illness, my entire body hurt so much to the point where I could barely breathe. My head throbbed violently, my limbs enveloped in pain, my eyes ached, and my damaged throat left me voiceless. I couldn't even move, let alone raise my head. And as the tears continued to fall, it only got worse. 

My mind transported me to the memory of when Adrien had taken me to see the Miraculous Flight, and I almost smiled as I remembered how perfect our moment was...how our kiss was...how everything was. 

My tears instantly turned into sobs when I realized that from now on, I wouldn't be able to experience anything like that every again. My once fantastic life filled with adventure and freedom abruptly ended in such a terrifying way, and I began to regret not cherishing my freedom enough like I should have. 

I remembered that Mother Befana had told me that if my illness got any worst, I would probably die. 

I might as well die now.

There was no use living when I have no purpose, or no one, to live for anymore. 

"Oh sweet Juliet, thy tears are arrows slowly piercing my fragile heart as I calmly submit myself unto the hands of death..."

I gasped. Hearing Adrien's voice suddenly filled me with renewed energy and life. 

He was alive.

Oh my god, he was really alive. 

"Adrien?!" I tried to yell, but it only came out as a scratchy whisper. 

Adrien coughed before replying, "I'm okay. Just...hang in there."

 I tried to gather as much strength as I could and slowly began to crawl towards where he was laying. The entire process of inching my way towards him was agony to my limbs, but I kept pushing myself despite how painful it was. It probably took a few minutes to finally reach him, but to me it felt like an eternity.

My heart broke when I found him covered with blood, the dagger still pierced in his stomach. But despite this, his still had the nerve to give me the smile I had missed so much. He winced painfully when I pulled the dagger out from his stomach and threw it aside. I then placed my forehead on his, tears welling in my eyes. 

"You're so hot," he said quietly. 

"Do you really think this is the time for your jokes, you idiot?" I whispered.

"No I mean you're burning up. Bad. You really need to go to the doctor."

"I'm not going anywhere."