Chapter 17

(A/N): Three words.....

#Nalya for lifeeeeee!!!!!! EEEEEKKKKK!!! I NEED MORE!!

Anyways, hope u guys enjoy!

Balloons, streamers, lanterns, confetti....

Marinette had never seen so many decorations in one place before, not to mention she had never seen so many smiling faces or enthusiastic joy since she had first arrived in the village. The scene of people celebrating and cheering left her speechless and made her feel as if she had arrived for the very first time. 

She had trouble keeping up with her group, as the crowds seemingly grew by the minute. She would have ended up being lost for good had it not been for Adrien, who steered her back into the right direction. 

"Try not to let the crowd eat you alive, okay M'lady?" he told her. "Hold onto my arm if you need to."

Marinette nodded in response before making sure the pink paper butterfly in her hands wasn't crushed from her constant bumping into people.

The pair finally made it close enough to reach Alya and Nino, who lead them to a large concrete wall, on it a painting of the royal family. Thousands of paper butterflies of every size, shape, and color were placed at the foot of the painting, and some even rested on top of the concrete wall. Marinette saw people who had butterflies placed them around the painting...and once Alya, the twins, and Nino did the same, Marinette figured she should do the same. 

Afterwards, she stared at the painting in deep thought, wondering why it seemed vaguely familiar to her. She finally turned to Alya and asked, "Who are the people in the painting?"

"That's King Tom, his wife Queen Sabine, and their newborn daughter the Ladybug princess," Alya replied, pointing to each said person. "A long time ago, people said that the Queen couldn't have children," she explained, "but then one day it was announced that she was pregnant and would have a child. Just before she gave birth, she got really sick. The king and his men searched far and wide, and finally found a cure. She got better, and finally had a baby girl. Unfortunately though, the baby was kidnapped and they haven't found a single trace of her to this day."

Marinette gasped in pure shock. Who would kidnap an innocent child? "You mean no one has ever found the baby at all?"

"No," replied Alya sadly. "It really sucks too. I heard that the king and his wife won't even try to have any more kids because they're so depressed from what happened."

"But are they still searching?" asked Marinette. 

Alya shrugged. "I have no idea. I heard all this from my parents, and I was only a baby when all of that happened. It's been years."

Marinette felt her heart become heavy with sorrow from hearing this tragic story from Alya. She felt awful for the King and Queen, and she began to wish she could do something for them. 

"The butterflies symbolizes life and the meaning of hope," Alya continued slowly, as if she were thinking. "Every year on the day of the festival, we place butterflies here in hope that she's alive and will one day return."

"Alya! Alya! Alya!" Etta squealed, grabbing her big sister's hand while jumping up and down excitedly. 

"They have the dunker game! Let's go play!" Ella chimed in.

Alya's face brightened. "Hey Nino! They have the dunker game again this year!"

Nino, who was standing a little off to the side talking with Adrien, suddenly groaned, "I'm NOT playing that again. There is absolutely no way you can make me."