Chapter 21

(A/N): Only a few more chapters left! Stay tuned :-)

   The sound of chains echoed from Adrien's cell, as he tried and tried to break free from the shackles that restrained him. The guard on duty rubbed his temples for what he thought was the hundredth time. Adrien had been trying to escape all day, and it was tiresome hearing the chains jingle over and over again. And hearing Adrien's loud groans every time he failed wasn't very pleasant either. Finally, the guard decided enough was enough and decided to bang on Adrien's cell bars. 

"Hey!" he yelled. "Quit your noise-makin'!

Adrien scoffed. "Maybe if you get me out of this darn cell then I might consider."

"Not a chance, kid," replied the guard gruffly. "God knows how long we've been searching for you...nearly torn the entire kingdom upside down in the process." He shot Adrien a glare. "You ain't goin' nowhere."

He the turned his back and walked away from the cell and back to his post.

"We'll see about that," Adrien whispered to himself. 

Even if they had bounded him with a thousand chains, it wouldn't have stopped him from trying to break all of them apart. His determination to rescue Marinette had reached the sky and even beyond, and he was willing to do anything just to see her again. 

He had to see her again...even for just one moment. 

Adrien tried once again to pull free, but by this time the hard iron rings around his wrists had given him painful marks on his skin, making him almost cry out in agony with each pull. He then placed his hands in his lap for a quick rest, wondering if banging the shackles against the brick wall would help.

"Dinnertime," a female voice sang. Adrien looked up and was then shocked to find Alya standing outside his cell holding a meal tray, her auburn hair pull back in a low ponytail, her orange dress covered by an old apron, and her glasses crookedly balanced on her face. 

The guard raised an eyebrow suspiciously. "Who're you, miss?"

"I'm one of the new maids of the town jail," answered Alya. "Since Little Sue is out sick, the warden hired me to manage the prisoners' meals until she gets well."

The guard huffed. "No wonder she was sneezin' up a storm the last time I saw her. Poor girl said something about allergies, but turns out it was the flu, like I predicted ages ago." He shuffled in his pocket and pulled out a set of keys before choosing one and opening the cell door. It opened with an ear-ringing squeak. 

"Welp," added the guard, gesturing Alya into the cell with his arm. "Might as well get this over with. "

Alya thanked the guard and entered the cell. 

 Once the guard closed the barred door and diverted his attention from the two teenagers, Alya rushed to Adrien and knelt to the floor to place the meal tray in front of him. 

"Adrien?" she gasped. "What're you doing here?"

"I'm Chat Noir, the kingdom's most wanted vigilante. Haven't you heard?" mumbled Adrien sarcastically with a roll of his eyes. "What're you doing here?" he then asked. 

Alya ran her fingered through her hair. "Trying to find out what's going on."

"What do you mean?"