Bonus Chapter! (10K Special)

*3 months later*

"...and tomorrow morning the kitchen staff will begin to prepare the evening refreshments as well as gathering exotic fruits such as blackberry dragonfruit imported from Lonng Island. Also, the head musician of the royal band would like to request a private audience for a small rehearsal--Um, Your Highness...are you alright?"

Princess Marinette jumped in surprise from her short daydreaming when she realized the royal steward was addressing her with a worried frown. Her parents, King Tom ad Queen Sabine, were also eyeing her, concern visible on both their faces. 

"Oh," she laughed self-consciously as she tucked a stray strand of her midnight blue hair behind her ear-- a habit she still practiced even after having her hair cut. "I'm sorry...I got carried away with my own thoughts for a minute. You were saying something about strawberries and private balconies?"

Mr. Raincomprix cleared his throat. "Blackberry-dragonfruit and private audience," He corrected her politely, though Marinette could tell he was slightly irritated that she wasn't paying attention to his report on the preparations for the Winter Ball. 

"Yes, of course," she mumbled, her eyes downcast and her cheeks slightly pink. 

"Tell the royal band that we'll be meeting with them at 3 o'clock tomorrow afternoon," said King Tom, "and make sure the importation of the blackberry-dragonfruit is successful without delay. We'll discuss the rest of the ball preparations this evening."

"Yes, Your Majesty," Mr. Raincomprix bowed respectfully before King Tom waved his hand to dismiss him. When the steward had walked towards the doors and finally exited the throne room, Queen Sabine turned to look at her daughter. 

"Marinette, are you alright?" she asked gently. 

Marinette sighed before raising her gaze to smile at her mother. "Yes, I'm fine."

 In truth, she wouldn't consider herself fine. She hadn't seen a certain golden-haired boy in over 2 weeks, and he was the one who had taken over her thoughts a moment ago. Not to mention she had to shoulder the responsibility of being a princess, which also meant taking part in planning one of the biggest balls of the year. 

She had only read about balls in the fairy-tale books she had owned when she lived in her tower, but the books mostly described the elegance of a girl's gown and the magical romance between her and her lover on the dance floor. 

Unfortunately, they failed to mention all of the planning, the hard work, and the stress that came with hosting a royal ball. 

"I know this is all so much to take in," King Tom said to Marinette. "Especially since you've haven't been in the palace for so long and you haven't really had time to adjust  to being of royalty yet, but we want you to know that your mother and I will always be here every step of the way. Whatever troubles you, don't hesitate to come to us for help."

Marinette began to feel her heart swell with gratitude. Though she had been separated from her parents for over 17 years, there were moments where she felt as if she had never even spent a second of her life without them. 

And this was one of them. 

Granted, there still was that air of awkwardness whenever she was with her parents-- they still somewhat seemed like strangers to her since she barely knew them. But each day, that air of awkwardness was beginning to be replaced by familiarity and the rebuilding of a family bond. 

"Thank you," she said warmly. "Um, can I be excused?"

King Tom nodded, and Marinette rose from her throne, the skirt of her long royal pink gown swirling all around her as she curtsied before leaving the throne room. As she made her way to her royal chamber, her mind once again began to think about Adrien.