Chapter 5

Commander Plagg continued his search for the kingdom's top thieves throughout the forest, though he and his men began to feel overwhelmed and even began to lose hope. They had been hunting for Chat Noir and Nino for an entire day and even tried to find some sort of trail the gang members could've possibly left behind, though they were nowhere near successful (Chat and Nino had expertly covered up their tracks beforehand). 

Finally, a tired and once again irritated Commander decided to call the chase quits and ordered him men to ride back to the palace. He regretted telling His Majesty about not being able to track down the criminals who stole his daughter's tiara, but, if Plagg was to be completely honest, it was just a tiara. 

Maybe the King could get another one made.

Which kinda wouldn't make any sense seeing as his daughter is still missing...

 ****

  Mother Befana, who was still continuing her journey, stopped beside a small stream after long hours of walking. Resting her feet into the cool water, she pulled a worn map from the folds of her cloak and began to to pinpoint where she was while biting her lip thoughtfully. 

She was at least an hour's walk from out of the forest and into the kingdom. If she hurried, Mother Befana could make it to the bakery in time before it closed. She had to get those macaroons Marinette mentioned for her birthday gift. 

Befana shook her head with a smile.

Oh, that silly fairy. 

Suddenly, she heard the thundering of horses echo throughout the woods, making the ground vibrate and the trees sway to and fro. She quickly slipped her feet out of the stream, tucked her map away, and hurried to a few thick bushes to take cover. 

The thundering became louder and louder, closer and closer.....

At last, Commander Plagg and his men came into her full view. Befana studied them as they vigorously rode pass, wondering what pursuit the palace soldiers were after.

A feeling of dread overtook her.

Did they get to Marinette?

****

Of course they didn't, but let's continue the story anyway. 

   The more Chat Noir and Marinette continued to travel and leave the tower farther and farther away, the more Marinette became a big ball of twisted emotions. One minute she was screaming with delight at all the wonderful things she discovered: the sweet smelling flowers, the tiny frogs shyly hopping away from their path, and trees, trees, trees of every shape and size. But the next minute she was sobbing about what a horrible daughter she was and how she had never in her life committed such a huge act of disobedience to her mother and how she feared her mother would react when she discovered her daughter was missing. 

Poor Chat Noir had to go through the struggle of witnessing Marinette's crazy meltdowns, and at last suggested they rested before she completely lost it. 

Chat Noir decided he'll need to do some scouting around the area to try and figure out where they were so they could make it to the kingdom as soon as possible. He looked around and found a huge elm tree standing a few feet away. 

"I'm gonna go climb that tree," he told Marinette, nodding his head toward the tree. 

"No, you're not!" Marinette shrieked. "How are you supposed to protect me if a goblin or zombie comes and attacks me?"