Chapter 5: "It Begins"

You awoke to the sound of an attempted Reveille. You scratched your head and looked over to see Papyrus tapping his boot impatiently on the ground.

Standing next to Papyrus was Sans who was the one who attempted to play the iconic song used to wake soldiers.

"sorry if that wasn't the best. all i had was a trombone." He nudged Papyrus and he looked at him with an annoyed glance.

You laughed at his pun and Papyrus took Sans' trombone and threw it out of the door.

"boss, you're the one who asked me..."

"SHUT UP!" Papyrus interrupted him.

"alright then," Sans walked outside to get his trombone and Papyrus walked closer to you.

"SLEEP WELL, (Y\N)?" He asked.

Wow, he actually used your name for once.

"I guess it was okay?" You replied.

"ANY IMPROVEMENTS I CAN MAKE?"

Well this was a first. He sounded genuinely kind, what has changed since last night?

His words calmed you a bit as you thought of a reply.

"Could I have some pillows or something?" You asked hopefully.

"HM, I SUPPOSE SO." He replied.

"Oh, thanks!" You smiled at him and his cheekbones turned a faint red.

"N-NO PROBLEM!" He stuttered.

You tilted your head. This was very unlike him, was he sick or something?

"Are you feeling okay?" You asked him.

"I'M FINE." He responded flatly.

Sans walked back inside and Papyrus' attitude changed immediately.

"COME HERE." He told you.

You slowly approached him and he grabbed your arm.

"TODAY I WILL TEST YOU WITH MY PUZZLES AND TRAPS." He explained.

"...Okay?" You didn't really know how to respond to that.

"YOU COULD DIE." He said as he turned his gaze to yours.

"Sounds fun." You muttered sarcastically.

"BUT, IF YOU SURVIVE THEN YOU WILL BE ABLE TO FIGHT ME." He posed villainously.

"What if I don't want to fight you?" You asked him.

"our world doesn't work like that doll, you're gonna have to fight 'em." Sans answered.

You sighed, you didn't want to kill anyone here, in fact you didn't want to fight either.

"Alright," You sighed.

Sans must have seen your stress because he looked at you reassuringly.

"WELL, ARE YOU READY TO GET STARTED?" Papyrus asked you.

"I suppose," You said softly as you rocked back and forth on your heels.

Papyrus started dragging you towards the door and you attempted to keep up with his long strides so he wouldn't pull your arm out of its socket.

"Can you please slow down?" You asked him politely.

He thought for a second.

"NO."