Chapter 24: "Fear of Abandonment"

You swallowed a lump in your throat and looked straight at the tiny pinpricks in Gaster's eye sockets. "What would they do if they regained control?" You asked him with a hint of nervousness in your voice.

"They'd take over your body and use your own hands to kill everyone down here." He responded.

"Will they kill me to do that?" You asked him.

"No, they will most likely push your consciousness to the side so you can see the murders of the ones you love." He spoke as he folded his hands together neatly.

"What are the chances of them taking my body over?" You asked him worriedly.

"It is about a thirty percent chance." Gaster replied.

His long black lab coat swayed from side to side as he walked closer, he knelt down and looked at you directly. His face looking right at yours.

"Worry not, (y/n)... I will try to fend them off if they try anything." He spoke calmly.

"Why would you try to help me? You hated humans right?" You asked in confusion.

"I still do but, my son loves one so I have to push my hate for you to the side for now." He responded as he stood back up.

The tall scientist began to walk away in the opposite direction when he stopped dead in his tracks and turned around, his gaze was now cold as ice. He stared at you and he drew his finger across his neck.

"Don't tell anyone of this meeting you've had with me. Don't tell them about Frisk or the impending dangers either. If you do, I won't hesitate to cease all kindness I show to you." He growled.

"But what if I feel Frisk trying to take over?" You asked him.

"You can tell them they're taking over but do not mention me, I am a ghost from the past that should never be remembered." He responded as he straightened his tattered coat.

"But won't your sons he happy to know you're okay?"

This W.D. Gaster was an absolute puzzle to you. What's up with him and why is he so mysterious? He was slightly taller than Papyrus but still much shorter than Asgore. That of of course meant he absolutely towered over you. But if Sans' younger brother and dad were both much taller than him, why did he end up so short? Perhaps it was bad luck with his genes or he got his mother's height. Either way, it was still somewhat funny to think about.

"My sons don't remember much of anything about me, my existence was ripped from time and space. Only faint clues and memories are left behind from the life I had snatched from me." Gaster replied.

"What happened to you?" You asked him curiously.

He paused for a second, his lab coat shifting as he turned back around to walk away.

"You know that presence you felt while looking for Sans' 'diary'?" He asked as he walked further away.

"Yes?"

"That was me." He spoke as he faded into the darkness.

"Don't forget to stay determined, (y/n)." His voice echoed against the empty void.

You stood in the black void for only seconds more before everything turned to white. You heard many familiar voices talking back and forth, you could recognize Sans, Papyrus and Toriel. They all seemed very worried.

You felt the ground open from under your feet and you began to fall, down and down you tumbled until suddenly, your eyes shot open.

You sat up on a metal operating table to see a short dinosaur monster with spiral glasses staring at you. It took a few seconds for you to realize but, this was Alphys. The creator of Mettaton and girlfriend to Undyne, the one who hacked Papyrus' TV signal as well.