Chapter 18: "Brothers Regardless"

"b-boss! i-uhm..." Sans quickly picked the jar back up and tucked it under his arm protectively.

"WOULD YOU CARE TO EXPLAIN YOURSELF?" Papyrus put a hand on his hip and glared down at his brother.

Sans didn't respond and just looked at his red sneakers in shame.

Papyrus growled and grabbed the jar from his grasp.

"WE COULD HAVE BEEN FREE THIS WHOLE TIME?! FOUR YEARS YOU MADE US SUFFER IN THIS HELLHOLE?!" Papyrus yelled loudly.

"papyrus, ya wouldn't understand..." Sans muttered.

That was the first time you've heard him call Papyrus by his actual name face to face. He always calls him 'boss' when they're talking to each other.

"AND WHY IS THAT, SANS?"

"you can't know, people shouldn't have to live with that knowledge." He shook slightly as he spoke.

"SANS! STOP TALKING NONSENSE AND EXPLAIN WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH YOU!" Papyrus sounded annoyed.

"why don't ya understand?! i can never let another soul know, it's too painful for anyone!" Sans growled in response.

Papyrus lifted a hand to strike Sans when you quickly grabbed his arm to stop him.

"Papyrus, violence isn't going to make him tell you. I learned a lot about your relationship with Sans today and you have no idea how much he really cares for you." You told him flatly.

"CARES ABOUT ME?" He scoffed and pulled your arm off of his.

"Yes, he hated that you were training for the royal guard but he let you live your dream anyway." You explained.

"DID HE TELL YOU THIS?" He asked, it didn't sound like he believed your words.

"No, I read it in his journal." You replied.

"WHAT ELSE DID HE SAY IN THERE?" He asked curiously.

Sans looked at you with a pleading expression that said "don't tell him, anything else" so you didn't.

"Lots of things," You responded.

"LIKE?"

You turned away from him, ignoring his question which just seemed to anger him even more.

"All I know is that you two need to make up. Seven years of cruel abuse has ensued and it's time for it to end." You walked to Sans' dresser and pulled out the picture of when they were younger.

You walked back to Papyrus, handing it to him. "What happened to this brotherly bond?" You asked.

"A bond like this should have never gone away. You shouldn't just start treating your sibling like dirt." You snapped at Papyrus.

"AND YOU SHOULDN'T GO THROUGH PEOPLE'S ROOMS TO READ THEIR DIARIES."

"Touché," You grumbled.

"it's a journal, not a diary." Sans argued.

"Sans, they are practically the same things."

"yeah, but 'journal' sounds much manlier than 'diary'." Sans pointed out.

"Why does that matter?" You asked.

"a diary is something an innocent pre-teen girl writes in about her crushes and a journal is what adults write in daily to vent."

"WHERE THE HELL HAS THIS CONVERSATION GONE?!"

Sans scratched his cervical vertebrae out of nervousness and looked at the floor.