Chapter 20: "The Aftermath"

Sans let you keep his coat on as he led you outside. He insisted he hold your hand until you found Papyrus, just in case you two were spotted by Undyne and had to make a quick getaway.

It was snowing lightly, nothing like the severe blizzard in your dream. What if Frisk actually returned and did what they had done in your dream? Could they even do that? The dream haunted your mind and you couldn't stop thinking about it.

"Sans... I can't stop thinking about the dream." You sighed.

"i know how ya feel," Sans sighed in response.

"How did you cope with the pain? I mean, other than drinking the feelings away."

"well, i guess i just crossed my phalanges that they'd do a pacifist route." Sans replied with a shrug of his shoulders.

"Did that ever happen?" You asked him.

He sighed and looked at the snowy ground as you both walked.

"yeah, they did a few times... i even thought we were 'friends' or somethin'." He muttered quietly.

"Have you ever made it to the surface?"

He shook his head and looked back at the path ahead.

"nope, they always reset before we could make it there." He sighed.

"Do they still have control over this world?" You asked him.

"as far as i'm aware, they do." Sans replied.

"Why haven't they reset yet?" You asked with a tilt of your head.

"they just want us to get to the surface so they can reset right when i am enjoying life." He growled.

Would a child really do such a thing? If they really had killed everyone down here before, it was likely. But that was no normal child, they must be deranged to commit mass genocide.

You and Sans didn't talk about Frisk's antagonism anymore. You both stayed silent and ignored the passerby's constant whispering about you two holding hands.

Some wondered if you were being taken to be executed and others thought you and Sans had something romantic going on.

Whenever someone tried to approach you two, Sans would growl and hurl bone attacks at them. They would instantly back off and walk away in the opposite direction. Seeing Sans like this did scare you somewhat but, you knew he was just trying to keep you safe. Papyrus would probably kill him if you got hurt or killed.

And now you know Sans would do anything for his brother, so of course he'd protect you from harm. If you got killed, Papyrus could have a mental breakdown. On top of that, you're pretty sure Sans is starting to warm up to you. He hasn't made any impertinent remarks to you since he and Papyrus made up. That was quite the relief though, his words could really hurt sometimes.

"what're ya thinkin' about sweetheart?" Sans interrupted your thoughts and you looked over at him.

"Nothing important," You replied.

"aw, c'mon doll. ya can tell your ole sansy boy." Sans chuckled.

"Well that's the first time I've heard you refer to yourself as 'Sansy boy'." You laughed.

Sans grinned at your reaction, "seriously though, you can tell me (y/n)."

"Alright, alright. I was thinking about how our relationship has changed a lot in the past few days." You explained.

"huh, i guess you're right." Sans remarked.

"What was up with the sudden change?" You asked him curiously.