Why so serious?| 3

My eyes widened and I gasped audibly, my heart throbbed fast for a split second and I just about managed to gather my bearings. I weakly raised my hand and waved, "I only really come out of the house when I have to do something" I replied shakily in a wavering voice.

His grin didn't falter, but his posture softened ever so slightly. He rolled his shoulders and held his hand out, "yeah, I'm the same. Name's Simon by the way" he greeted me and I reached out my hand to clasp his.

His palms were a bit sweaty they weren't really calloused, a bit rough around the fingertips, it didn't seem like he did much manual labor. I smiled unsurely, raising my eyes to his I spoke my name "I'm Kiara" I gave his hand a good shake and then placed mine by my side again, a sigh of relief almost escaped my chapped lips.

"you look familiar," he paused "you like fairy lights then?" He laughed and subtly pointed to the box I cradled in my right arm next to my hip. I nodded and bit my lip awkwardly, social interactions really killed all of me in general. I struggled to come up with anything to say, I opened my mouth like a fish on land and tried to make a string of words that would make some sense but nothing came out.

I breathed in and out slowly, "uh why did you come speak to me simon?" I asked curiously, finally filling the invisible blanks that daunted me only a few seconds ago.

"you just seemed out of it" he chirped, I watched as Simon's lips tugged up and he looked me directly in the eye, "But you seem better now?" He coughed when his voice had a rasp to it, he raised his eyebrows in questioning.

"Yes I am, thanks Simon" I murmured with gratitude, it was the first time properly smiling in ages. "Sorry to cut it short, but I need to put these lights up, you mind if I, you know?" I asked cautiously, as he was still a stranger, I wouldn't know his reaction, I clenched and unclenched my fist to prepare myself to run just in case.

"Yeah yeah that's fine, do you need help at all? I know that sounds weird from a stranger, actually, that sounds too sketchy, sorry" he stumbled on his words and almost went into a ramble.

"I think I'll be fine Simon, but thank you" he stared at my phone and I realised what was going through his head, "you can have my phone number if you want?" I questioned meekly.

"That would be nice" he replied in an upbeat voice, it startled me for a second how his happy levels could change so fast, but I'd probably get used to it.

After exchanging numbers, the two separated into two completely different directions. Kiara felt safer walking home as it was broad daylight, so she inhaled deeply and let her eyes rest for once, they always darted around the place searching for anything to get anxious about, but today seemed a lot easier to let go of all her troubles. Maybe it was the fact she had made a friend? The first in months upon months, Simon didn't seem malicious or bad, so it could be a good mutual friendship if she got her judgements right this time.

Having a companion, even if it's for a short time, it just makes getting through the motions just that much easier. As she kept thinking about it, the walk home seemed to short compared to yesterday, she was at her apartment in no time and immediately jumped up and unlocked the door. As it was still daylight, her unease wasn't visible and she allowed herself to hum as she took out the lights and untangled them.

As she was short to the average person, she tried to use her small step ladder so she could reach, unfortunately it wasn't quite enough. She scrunched up her face in frustration, her eyes stung for a brief second before trying again. After a few more attempts, she gave up and let her arms go limp and lights slip to the floor.

She let out an annoyed breath and decided to do what sounded utterly stupid. She had no one else to call, so it was her last resort, she wouldn't be able to deal with not having them up when she needed them for her sanity.

She scrolled through her list of contacts that didn't consist of much (her credit company for her phone, Simon's number, her counsellor and her younger sister). With reluctance, she tapped on Simon's contact and pressed 'call'

She waited for a couple rings and began to wonder if he'd pick up, he did after two more rings though.

"Hey Simon, I know it's ironic I'm calling, but I really do need help with putting up the lights" she scratched at her neck and fumbled for the right words to say, normally she'd rehearse it in her head.

"Oh right, well I'm just helping my friend Jide at the moment, I'll be over soon, wait, what's your address?" He sounded distracted and distantly there was an unique laugh in the background, it was a little infectious and she had to fight not to smile.

Not exactly remembering the address properly, she squeezed her eyes shut and willed herself to remember, but obviously couldn't. "I'll text you it" she rushed out and ended the call without even saying goodbye, she groaned and realised how weird that must've been for Simon.

She went to her bedroom and lied down with her phone near her, she had some thought then remembered the address and then messaged Simon it. She pressed her phone down on her stomach and closed her eyes to rest for a moment, she didn't fall asleep, but still fell into a somewhat tranquil state that she forgot Simon was even coming over.

Around an hour went by and Kiara was close to dozing off, she had been so tired lately and unable to stay awake for too long. As she had forgot about Simon, she was startled when a knock sounded at the door, panic rises within her and began attacking her, she then quickly regained memory from earlier and raced to open the door. Her panic was still going on and wouldn't stop for a while at this rate, it had been so sudden and spiked at the wrong moment.

"Hi again" Kiara's voice shook as she looked up to him, he almost chuckled because that had been an ongoing joke with him and his fans and also friends, but this girl didn't seem to know them, so he suppressed it.

"You alright?" He picked up her tone and noticed it had sounded more weary than earlier if possible, she was only just visibly sweating and her eyes held immense panic. she seemed like almost heaving through her chest so he stepped forward and told her to breathe.

His question was unanswered because he answered himself, he told Kiara to go get herself a cup of tea and he'd set up the lights in the middle of the room