Heart stirring| 13

"So, about that meal" JJ broke the silence in the car, dismissing the radio and tapping his fingers on the steering wheel. I felt immensely guilty, his knuckles were bruised crimson. "Still up for it?"

"Yeah, I could go for a meal" I muttered, voice tight in disbelief, previous events shocking me to the core. This had to be the most chaotic thing to happen in my life, apart from Dad.

Bailey pulling out the Dad card was childish, her phrasing was also incredibly childish. What was I meant to do? Pray to be born on a different day?

"Anything you particularly want?" He questioned lightly, indicating when we came to a round-a-bout. I shook my head, there wasn't anything in particular, just food, any food that I could stuff into my mouth for comfort. He caught my movement and bit his lip, "Nando's is close, kfc is closer, and McDonald's is far"

"I prefer KFC out of all those if I'm honest, but I've never been to Nando's" I let my body relax into the black leather seats, when did I get so comfortable around him? I'd already answered the question in my head.

He protected you dumb ass

"KFC it is, I'll take you to Nando's some other time" he promised, looking tempted to glance at me, but he kept his eyes on the road. "How're you feeling after that ordeal?"

"A little shocked if I'm honest" I replied, biting my nails out of habit. Would Jj think that was disgusting? I immediately stopped and instead, focused on the blur of trees/forest rushing past. "Thank you, not just for today"

"You're thanking me for the other time again?" He questioned, surprised. I shuffled in my leather seat, suddenly feeling uncomfortable, was that a wrong move?

Yes

"Um, yeah. It was really kind of you" I commented lightly, about to turn the dial for the radio to blast up in volume, when Jj caught my hand and gently placed it back by my side.

"You never said why you were out that late." He interrogated suspiciously. Oh god no, I didn't want him suspicious of me.

"I had a lot of things on my mind, couldn't sleep, etcetera" I was also being incredibly stupid, I mean who doesn't notice they're about to get hit by a car?

You're dumb

Shut up

JJ cleared his throat, which snapped me back into the moment. "You zoned out for a second there, you alright?" The car jolted as we drew closer to the food joint. My window slid open and I took a deep breath, I wasn't okay, but I wasn't falling apart.

"Yeah, just overwhelmed" it was endearing that he was genuinely concerned, I felt like twiddling my thumbs, would he catch my lie?

"Well, nothing better than food to calm you down a bit" he shot me a smile and the car screeched to a halt, I rolled down my window as he hopped out of his side and politely came to mine to open it for me. I thanked him timidly and we walked briskly to the entrance.

It then dawned on me how weirdly hilarious this was. Getting in a fight with your own flesh and blood, and then going for a chipper meal, at KFC. I openly giggled, JJ turned to me puzzled. "Sorry, I just realised how funny this situation is"

His mouth curved up in a smirk and then he began laughing loudly. I forgot how booming his laugh actually was, multiple people swivelled round in the queue and their seats. We continued, becoming hysterical, "We've been in a fight, and the first place we come is here. I needed that laughing fit though."

I wiped my eyes and he agreed with my statement, "We should probably queue now" he chuckled and guided me forward. We gazed at the menu, pondering what to have. "We could share a big meal?"