Fighter| 21

I'm debating on ending the story on a very bad note, but leaving it for a spin off au :/

I stared in awe as JJ sent his fist flying into Logan's chest, the fleeting satisfaction on his face as Logan reeled back was a hopeful boost for everyone around me. He was an animal in the ring, delivering unbelievable impact to his opponent. Sweat dripped down his face, but it didn't bother him as he took hits and swung back.

"Yes JJ!" I shouted, watching as he momentarily laughed when the other boys started chanting with me.  "JJ! JJ! JJ!" We clapped hard, until our palms hurt. He was being egged on, getting more animalistic and powerful.

I giggled as Harry yelled "Fatneek, go on you Fatneek!!!" Harry and Aiden had reconciled as friends when I was in hospital, it made me smile seeing Aiden bend over in laughter next to him.

Beside me, Simon was constantly holding his breath, he refused to speak to anyone, his anxiety was tenfold as he witnessed his friend being beaten, hoping he would come out victorious. Luckily, Talia was there to squeeze his hand when he felt like he couldn't breathe.

I'd been out the hospital for a few days now, no longer in critical condition. I still got stabbing pains in my stomach whenever I moved too fast, but other than that I was okay. I was still dealing with the intrusive dark thoughts and voices, but that was something that would wear away slowly over time.

You should've died in that hospital bed

Piss. Off.

I had ditched Reed as my therapist/counsellor after he didn't fully ask for my permission, and whenever he tried to talk to me I kept the replies simple. One thing I could thank him for was Aiden. For letting me meet my best friend, other than Talia that is.

Talia and I were two peas in a pod. We'd had plenty of girl nights, Frey and a blue haired lady called Gee. Talia convinced me to dye my hair red, I was hesitant at first, but I had never done it before and it was so thrilling. Talia had done my makeup before the fight, given me a dress that hugged the little curves that I did have and made me feel good for once in my life.

My scars were showing freely and I did not care, they were of the past, when I had been even lower than I was. Resorting to inflicting harm on myself, when I could've put that resentment into something else. Like baking or painting, but I was scared of living, scared of dying, so to feel like I could die I did it.

But I was okay, or doing better at least.

I worriedly watched as JJ got pummelled on the back on the head, fell and still got punched. I protested loudly with my voice "that's not allowed! Stop! STOP."

The referee broke it up disappointedly, letting JJ recover as it was unfair. Logan's face was frustrated, and it morphed into anger when the judges deducted points from him. This was redemption for Logan, and I felt for him there, but I felt more for the person my heart thumped for.

"You've got this Jide!" Harry and Tobi screamed over the deafening noise. We knew that JJ heard them, because he stopped recovering, finishing the round while stumbling, but with confidence. The last rounds were nerve racking to watch but he pulled through.

They stood, sweaty, worn and bleeding, waiting for the referee to announce the winner. I was on the edge of my seat, clenching my fist so my nails starting sinking into my skin.

You have done it Jide

A voice that I had never heard in my life entered my head, sultry, husky and feminine. It was completely unlike me, unlike the berating voice in my head along with mine. What the fuck.

What the fuck. Who are you? What are you doing in my head?

Silence rang out in my brain. Was I imagining it? I only came back to my senses when shouts fornicated around me. I snapped my eyes to JJ, seeing him on the floor, I got concerned, but then payed my attention to Logan, who was disappointed. JJ won. I frowned, remembering what the voice had whispered.

JJ began his speech with a grateful look on his face. "No one believed I could do this, look at me now!" He yelled, the microphone echoing his every word. "I want to thank my friends, mostly the sidemen. Those boys, they've been there through everything. My family. Even those who didn't believe, I've proved them wrong and that is so rewarding." He sighed, on the verge of tears.

"I also want to thank someone else tonight." He paused, taking a deep breath. "Kiara, can you come up here with me please?"

I was taken by surprise, but wordlessly hobbled up to the ring, climbing under the strings and towards JJ. He put an arm around my waste, almost knowing it was throbbing. "Me and Logan aren't the only fighters here. Three weeks ago, this woman here was fighting for her life after a deep stab wound. Her living was the only reason I bothered fighting tonight, and I'm so glad I did, I've done it for her among other people."

I couldn't even stop the tears from falling, it was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for me. He pulled me to his chest and squeezed gently, I couldn't believe I was hugging the man I had fallen for, and in such an intimate way. He pulled away and clasped my hand, pulling it up, calling me a winner. "Celebrate all lives, ones that are here, ones that are not. You can't guarantee that you'll be a winner all the time." He spoke earnestly, muttering a quick 'thank you.' And passing the mic back.

Two things would always stick with me from that night. The wispy voice, and when me and JJ exited the ring and he pressed a fleeting kiss to the back of my head.

Days after, I still felt his warm lips on my skull, the same ones that sent shivers down my spine.

Expect the unexpected

She whispered in warning, that same unrecognisable voice sounding through my head.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD

I screamed inside. My inner voice of hatred pounced next.

I AM THE ONLY ONE ALLOWED HERE

What was happening to me?