How to be strong| 10

"It's late afternoon, want something to eat?" JJ asked with a yawn. I noticed the rumbling of my stomach and how parched my mouth felt.

"That would be great" Talia and I said simultaneously, i almost let a smile slip out from beneath my tired exterior.

Simon burst into the kitchen, "I see we've all regrouped" Talia moved slightly, shuffling towards her boyfriend. "Or you all were doing something without me"

"We're about to buy some food" Talia corrected smugly, Simon stared down at her, a flash of annoyance crossing his face. "And yes, without you"

A laugh erupted from me, JJ barely held in his either. "Real funny, what we getting?" Simon gingerly stepped forward and snatched JJ's phone.

"Well apparently, it's your decision now" JJ mocked, swiping to get his phone back in his possession.

"I'm not bothered" I piped in cheekily, feeling my social awkwardness fading away.

"Well Olajide will be getting a salad" Simon pointed at JJ teasingly. So that's his full name.

"You're getting salads too" JJ pointedly grinned at Talia and Simon. He then glanced at me, sliding his hand across the kitchen counter. "And you, what do you want?"

I squirmed in my seat, "I'm not hungry, if I'm honest" I lied through my teeth, locking down my jaw and looking at the counter.

"Alright, I'll just get you some chips then" he waved off my previous comment and I almost had the urge to raise my eyebrows in shock.

Thank him then

"Thank you" I ducked my head and focused on a cup somewhere in the room. "So...."

"What happened upstairs?" Simon asked curiously, Talia's head snapped quickly towards me, some of her makeup smudged on her grey hoodie.

"Well we just reported it to the police" I spoke gently, reaching forward to wipe some of the makeup off her hoodie.

"What's this about?" JJ butted in, intrigued and cautious. "I went to get a drink and I heard Talia say something about stalking"

"Uh, well it's quite difficult to talk about I guess" I confided, gripping the glass of water in my hand. "My own family is stalking me, the cab I went home in? The driver was my sister's boyfriend, and once I got out, he wouldn't stop circling the area" I took a breath, looking towards everyone for their reaction.

"What happened next?" JJ urged me to keep talking, Simon swayed to give him a slap on the head but I shook my head. He's just a bit intrusive

"I went up the steps to my apartment, the door was slightly open and I caught a glimpse of heels, that normally my sister or mother would wear" i went silent afterwards, that was all that's happened, was that enough evidence?

"I'm sorry that happened to you" JJ said shortly, making me realise I'd made everyone a little bit uncomfortable with my sob story. I quickly diverted the topic onto something else.

"Now, we haven't ordered that food yet have we?"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - /

"I'm going to the gym, anyone coming with?" JJ belted from the front door. I debated staying indoors until I saw that Simon and Talia were being quite intimate and I didn't want to be a third wheel for the rest of the night.

That's a thought, why was he going to the gym this late?

My eyes rose up to Talia's, silently confirming if I could go or not. She smiled, I stood from the dark bean bag and slipped a little, her and Simon could be more relaxed with me gone now.