3. Meeting Ducky

ELIZABETH'S POV

‘So, Elizabeth, you’ve made quite the impression on your first day, haven’t you? And you haven’t even met everybody yet!’ said Director Shepherd.

She was really nice, and she was short, with reddish auburn hair. From the way Gibbs looks at her, and the casual relationship they seem to have, something did, or definitely is happening there.

But, it’s my first day, and that's probably slightly disrespectful. 

‘Who else is there to meet?’ I asked, slightly surprised. I thought agents pretty much kept to their own teams and didn’t exactly like other agencies.

‘Well, there’s our forensic scientist, and our medical examiner, as well as his assistant, would you like to meet them all?’

‘Yes please,’ I said, genuinely meaning it. I’d always been interested in forensics, and what goes on behind the scenes in investigations.

‘Well come on then,’ Gibbs said, rising and started to walk out the door.

Damn that guy could walk fast, I thought. For every stride he took, I had to take two, and I have long legs.

Gibbs stepped into the elevator I’d exited just a couple of hours ago.

The silence was slightly awkward, but I didn't have anything to say, and Gibbs looked as though if you said the wrong thing (especially in Interrogation) you'd be leaving the building in a body bag.

The lift pinged again for the second time that morning. That was a really annoying sound, but I guessed I’d probably get used to it.

Just as I was about to step out, and walk towards what I guessed was the forensics lab, Gibbs put an arm out to stop me.

‘Wait, we’ve gotta wait for Jenny,’ he said

‘Jenny?...’ I questioned.

‘Uh, Director Shepherd, she’ll be down soon,’ he replied.

Yup. Definitely something going on there.

After a couple of minutes, the Director entered the corridor.

‘Ready to meet Abby?’ she asked. ‘She can be a bit much on a Monday morning, just make sure to hold your breath,’ she smiled knowingly.

‘Why would I need to ho-‘

‘GIBBS!’ I heard.

A tall dark haired girl, with tattoos, black clothes, chunky platform boots and a lab coat rushed over and threw her arms around Gibbs.

‘Abbs, can’t breathe..’ he whispered.

‘Sorry, Gibbs,’ she replied pulling back and smiling.

‘Abby, this is Probationary Agent Elizabeth Marsden,’ Director Shepherd introduced me.

‘Hi Abby, nice to meet you,’ I said, holding out my hand. Like I said, it’s gonna be aching by the end of the day.

Except instead of shaking it, she threw her spindly arms around me as well, in a bone crunching hug.

‘Abbs,’ Gibbs warned.

‘Sorry again Gibbs,’ said Abby, but I actually didn’t mind. I felt like we were going to be really good friends.

‘Right, we’ll see you later Abby, we have to go and introduce our new agent to Ducky,’ Director Shepherd said.

We said goodbye, and headed back towards the lift. I’m guessing we’re going to Autopsy now to meet Ducky, who I’m guessing is the medical examiner, although what kind of a name is Ducky?