Chapter 22

Ziva POV

This is not going to happen to her again.

Gibbs hasn’t told us, but I know its Lizzie and McGee. I think we all do.

Gibbs, as usual, was driving extremely fast, but probably more so. Tony was sitting next to me, and the Director was sat in the front seat. That’s how we knew what was going on.

Tony’s face was pale and he looked as though he felt sick. We all did.

When we arrived at the crash site, we all leapt from the Dodge. There were three police cruisers, and an older man, wearing a uniform jogged over when he saw us.

Gibbs POV

‘Agent Gibbs?’

‘That’s me’ I replied.

‘We ran the license plate from the bike,’ he said.

I froze. Bike? Lizzie had a bike. One that she rode way too fast.

‘And?’ I asked him, barely audible.

‘It came back to an…. Elizabeth Marsden,’ he told us.

‘Damn,’ I heard Tony mutter.

‘Officer Langley, we’ll take it from here,’ I told the officer standing in front of me, who nodded and signalled to his fellow police to leave.

‘DiNozzo, David. Process the scene. Photos, measurements, the lot.’ I told them.

Taking out my cell phone, I dialled Abby’s number for her lab, nodding to the Director that we had it covered. He then called Cynthia to send a car to pick him up.

‘Gibbs! Where did you go? I thought you were waiting for Lizzie and McGee before you left for Mexico,’ she answered.

‘We were. I need you to check for any homes that have CCTV on Oregon Avenue, Hawthorn,’ I told her.

‘On it, it won’t take a minute, so stay on the line,’ she answered playfully.

A few minutes later I got another reply from her.

‘Okay, so none of the homes had cameras, but the park rangers from Barnaby Woods have set some up on the tree line to monitor birds, but you can see the road,’ she said. ‘I’ll tell you what’s going on, how far back do you want me to start?’

‘About an hour and a half ago,’ I told her.

‘Right, so, there’s a bike, with two riders, just been pulled over by a cop, its- oh my god it’s Lizzie! Gibbs, what’s going on?’

‘Abbs keep going, I need to know what happened,’ I told her.

‘Gibbs, I have a bad feeling. I’m emailing the file to Tony’s tablet, you can watch for yourself,’ Abby said and hung up.

Walking over to Tony, I beckoned Ziva over.

‘DiNozzo, Abby’s emailed you a video file of the crash.’

Tony jogged to the car and grabbed his ‘tablet’. I still can’t get my head around what they are.

Opening the email, he clicked on the file and we began watching the video.

Lizzie was riding along on her bike, Tim on the back. A police cruiser pulled up behind them. They stopped on the side of the road, and Lizzie got off to speak to the officer, who I could now see was Officer Langley.

They spoke for a while, Lizzie showed him her badge, and she left. Officer Langley waited, and then followed, a fair distance behind, obviously not trusting her. As they pulled away, a 68’ Mustang drove past on the other side of the road. Lizzie looked in her mirror to look at the car as it went past. She only took her eyes off the road for a second, but it was a split second too long, to notice the Cadillac Escalade behind her. Before it rammed her off the road. The bike span, hit a second Escalade coming the other way, and ran off the road. Three masked figures came out of the SUV’s and dragged them both away from the wreckage of the bike. Before Lizzie disappeared into the first SUV, a small glitch appeared behind her.

I realised it wasn’t a glitch, but my card, the one Officer Langley found at the scene.

Once we’d all finally digested what we’d seen, I called Abby.

‘Abbs, I need you to watch the video. There are two black SUV’s, run the license plates. Do it quick, we have a vehicle coming into the evidence garage, and some photos on their way.’

I hung up. I couldn’t face Abby. Lizzie was like her sister already, she couldn’t afford to lose her. Not after Kate.

I took a deep breath, called the people in from the evidence garage to come and collect everything on a truck.

I had to face everyone back at the office soon enough.