6. Letting it all out

ELIZABETH'S POV

So, apparently, the video was the one of me on the firing range. Midge, Jon and Phyllis couldn’t believe their eyes, and decided the Sig was actually pretty good for me, although Phyllis may have wanted me to take a Beretta.

It had been a long day, so Timmy offered to drive me home to my new apartment. It was only around 20 minutes from the NCIS building and we talked the whole way.

Tim’s dad was still an Admiral, and Sarah was studying English Lit at Waverly University.

‘So what about your parents? And Kadyn?’ Tim asked me. ‘You wouldn’t tell me earlier.’

Kadyn is my older sister, my mother’s name is also Sarah and my stepdad’s name was Toby.

Toby had been there since I was really little, so he was basically my dad, and I had treated him like it.

‘Well, you know Dad had that motorbike?’ Tim nodded.

‘The first time he took it out, once he got it ready and working, he had an accident.’

Frowning, trying to hold back the tears, I swallowed the lump in my throat.

‘He was okay, eventually. Just some really badly broken bones that needed operations. But about a year later, when I was fifteen, he was working on the bike again. It got written off in the accident, but he was adamant he could get it ready and working again. He was also working on a bike for me, and I didn’t have the heart to tell him no. Those bikes meant so much to him. I was sitting on the windowsill in the front room, reading, with my earphones in, so I didn’t hear or see anything until it was too late. There was a drunk driver that swerved off the road outside our house. Dad got hit, but the car kept going. I got hit as well when the car came through the house. It’s how I got this.’

I pulled up the leg of my jeans to show him the scar. It ran from the bone on the outside of my ankle to the centre of my knee. It’s still slightly raised and sometimes painful, even though it was around four years ago.

‘Oh my god, Elizabeth, I didn’t know. I’m so sorry.’ Tim told me, pulling the car into the car park of the apartment complex, and gave me a hug.

‘It’s okay, it was a while ago now.’ I replied.

‘And Kadyn? And Sarah?’ he asked.

‘Kadyn’s fine, she turns 21 next month,’ I said, smiling at the half shocked look on Timmy’s face.

‘She got her criminology degree, but she still has trouble remembering things, and still can’t remember anything before she was around nine years old. Mum can’t either, and she turned 56 three months ago. And she was 32 when she lost her memory. Although she seems to remember a marine. Maybe they were together?’ I wondered.

‘Maybe, although that doesn’t really narrow things down,’ he joked.

‘Do you want me to stay over tonight, Ellie?’ Timmy asked in a gentle voice, using the name I had as a little girl.

I was a marine, dammit. I didn’t cry. But I knew if no-one was with me, I wouldn’t be able to hold them back at all.

‘Yes. Please, Timmy.’ I said softly, using his childhood name.

Usually I prefer to be alone, but tonight I just needed someone in the room with me, who knew about  Dad.

Who could comfort me.

‘Do you want me to tell Gibbs? Or Tony? Or Ziva? Abby? Ducky? The director?’ Tim was babbling, but it actually made me feel slightly better, knowing he was trying to cheer me up.

‘Um, only if you want to. Maybe it is better they know, but maybe only Gibbs, Ducky and the Director? They seem more mature than the others, somehow.’ I asked.

‘Okay, I’ll call them when we get in, the Director works late, so does Gibbs, and Ducky looks after his mother. They’ll all still be up,’ he explained.

I can’t have looked very happy, because Tim asked me if I would prefer his place.

‘Okay then, how far is it?’ I asked him.

‘Only about ten minutes. Why, were you planning to fall asleep in my car?’ he teased.

‘Noooo…’ I replied.

‘How did you manage to get to work this morning?’ Tim said, as seen as the car park was empty.

‘Damn!’ I said.

‘I left it at work!’

It being the bike my dad had for me in the garage. I was terrified of riding it, but it was the last thing he gave to me, so I wasn’t going to let it sit there unused. Miraculously, it wasn’t damaged in the accident.

‘Left what at work?’ Timmy asked me.

‘My bike…’ I replied to his horrified face.

I can’t think why.

A/N: heyyyyy so, please tell me what you think, i love feedback and constructive criticsm :)

this chapter is dedicated to lilmisslestrade because they have been amazing at giving me feedback, which makes me carry on writing :D