Chapter 29

Lizzie POV

Gibbs tried to pry me away from Timmy, but I shot him a deadly glare and nearly growled.

‘Lizzie,’ he said softly. ‘We need to get you two to a hospital, you’re dehydrated and malnourished.’

I guess he had a point.

I pulled back from Tim, then gave him one last hug, before I let Gibbs help me out of the stone network of rooms. Outside, I saw we were in a desert, nothing for miles.

‘Gibbs!’ I wheezed. ‘Toby! Toby’s still in there somewhere,’ I told him. My legs were feeling the slightest bit better, so I pushed off him, and tried to make my way back to the building.

A figure staggered out, two SWAT men about 200 meters in front of him.

‘Toby!’ I tried to call out, but it only came out as a whisper. ‘Toby!’

He waved his arms around, and tried to call something, to us, and the SWAT men by the looks of it. He didn’t look relieved at all, he looked alarmed.

Before I could register what he was saying, another figure stalked out of the building, except this one had a gun. A big one.

I tried to scream out as Craig pulled the trigger and Toby fell to the ground. Then the SWAT.

Then a sharp burst of pain filled my abdomen, and my vision immediately went foggy at the intensity. I could hear shouting, and someone prodding my side, where most of the pain was centred.

‘We need a MED-EVAC now!’

‘Lizzie!’

‘No!’

McGee POV

‘LIZZIE! NO!’ the man, whose name I think was Craig, prowled out of the place we’d just left, carrying an AK-47 in his arms. I’d seen Lizzie push Gibbs away, trying to reach the building, when I saw her stepdad, who I hadn’t seen since I was in England, trying to leave. He got shot in the back, so did two SWAT team. But Lizzie got hit head on.

I stumbled over to her and fell to the ground.

‘Lizzie, Lizzie, please don’t. You need to keep your eyes open, I can’t lose you,’ I told her, desperately, and paused.

‘I love you,’ I whispered, and closed my eyes.

But I realised there was no blood, and she was still breathing.

Then I remembered.

‘Gibbs, she’s okay. Under her clothes, she has a metal sheath for her knife. That’s why there’s no blood, she’s not hit,’ I rambled.