Chapter 42

Lizzie POV

Dad was currently in Interrogation ‘talking’ to our main suspect in Commander Fischer’s murder investigation. Me, Tim, Tony and Ziva were in Observation, standing in a line behind the window with our arms crossed.

‘I still don’t get why he won’t let me interrogate anyone,’ I said.

‘You still haven’t been not a Marine for long enough by Gibbs standards. You’re too aggressive to criminals, and that’s illegal for us,’ Tony told me for the millionth time.

Dad wouldn’t let me into interrogation with any suspects because, according to Tony, I still hadn’t been out of the marines long enough to lose all my ‘aggressiveness’.

‘Whatever, DiNozzo,’ I brushed him off. ‘When’s the date for the wedding again?’

‘February 20th,’ Ziva smiled.

‘Just over a month? You sure you’ve got time?’ Tim asked them. They just shrugged.

It was just getting into January, and my cold had passed, but I was still feeling ill, and it was getting a bit worse every day. Tim was trying to get me to go to Ducky, but I refused. Unless I was unable to move, I wasn’t going to a doctor. Even if said doctor was Ducky.

‘You really do need to see Ducky, Lizzie,’ Tim said, concerned, when he saw me absentmindedly rubbing the spot on my stomach where it hurt.

‘Fine! I’ll go! Just let me finish some paperwork,’ I said as Dad left Interrogation.

‘Did he do it?’ Ziva asked.

‘You weren’t paying much attention, were you?’ Dad said. We all looked back into the room, where the ‘tough’ marine was now in bits, crying his eyes out. ‘He just confessed.’

‘Awesome!’ I grinned. My second case – done.

It was a weird one though. The murder weapon we found at the scene was a ladle, like the one you serve soup with. The Commander had been bashed over the head with it four times. Ducky found the cuts on his neck had hit an artery, and he’d lost over a third of his blood. Tony kept making movie references to vampire films like Dracula. It did look like teeth marks in his throat. It turned out that this marine sitting in front of us had a bit of a fetish, and belonged to one of those groups that thought they were vampires.

Apparently the US Marines didn’t have as strict a mental exam as we did in England.

Afterwards, I went down to Abby’s lab.

‘Hey, Abbs. You finishing up the evidence for court?’ I asked, hoisting myself onto the table behind her desk.

‘Yeah, nearly done. Have you got anything for me?’ she asked hopefully.

‘You know me too well, Sciuto,’ I grinned, pulling a large Caf-Pow! from behind my back, which she greedily took.

‘You want some?’ she asked offering me the cup, making me turn green.

‘I’m good, Abbs, still don’t feel too good,’ I told her.

‘You should really go see Ducky.’

‘Tim’s exact words! I’m going down there later, after they’ve taken the Commander’s body away and Ducky’s not busy,’ I told her.

‘Commander Fischer’s body has already gone. We’re going to Autopsy now,’ she grabbed my hand and pulled me into the lift.

‘Lizzie, my dear! How are you?’ he asked as we stepped through the sliding doors.

‘Yeah, I’m okay, Ducky,’ I said, returning his hug.

‘No she’s not. She hasn’t been feeling good for over a week, and she was sick this morning,’ Abby piped up.

‘Abby! How did you know that!?’ I was astonished.

‘I saw the Benadryl in your purse,’ she shrugged.

I gave Ducky a look, but he just shrugged as well.

‘Would you mind if I took some blood samples?’ he asked me kindly.

‘Nah, go ahead, Doc, you know best,’ I stuck my tongue out at Abby, which she did back.

‘Girls! Stop being childish!’ he exclaimed.

‘Sorry Granddad,’ we both joked, in unison.

After a minute, Ducky had a couple of vials of blood, which he handed to Abby.

‘Would you mind testing these for me, Abigail?’ he asked her.

‘Not at all Ducky. It’s top of my list,’ she smiled and pulled me back upstairs.

Whilst we were waiting for the analysis, we looked over Ziva’s final choices for maid of honour and bridesmaids dresses. She’d narrowed it down to three, and had given us envelopes with the pictures in, and an order to open them in.

Number one was a long deep blue dress, fairly plain, with a sparkly waist.

Number two was knee length, dusty grey dress, with fabric roses going from the waist to over the shoulder.

And number three was our favourite. Long and white, with black ivy across the thin skirt.

Me and Abby looked at each other.

‘That one!’ we said in unison, as the machine told us the analysis was done.

‘Abby, I can bet you it’s nothing. Just a bug or something,’ I told her.

‘Think again, Lizzie! Call Ducky up here!’ she told me.

‘Uh… okay…’ I said uncertainly.

When he got up to the lab, Abby was about to burst.

‘Ducky, you know what high levels of oxytocin mean?’ she said excitedly.

‘Yes I certainly do!’ he said, smiling wide.

‘What does it mean!?’ I questioned taking a sip of my water.

‘My dear, you’re pregnant!’

I almost choked.

A/N: yay! tell me what you think? x :)