Chapter 23

Lizzie POV

My head was pounding and my eyelids were heavy as I tried to open them and take in my surroundings.

The dark dingy room made it hard for my eyes to adjust, at least not for a few minutes.

Once they did, I could make out a table in the centre of the room, with four walls, one of which my back was against. My hands were tied behind my back, around the rickety chair my ankles were tied to. A door was opposite me, in the other wall, and a small frosted window on the wall to my left.

‘Tim? Tim!? Tim!’ I shuffled my chair over, and knocked against him, trying to wake him up.

There was a gash on the side of his head, dried blood encrusted in it.

‘Tim! Wake up! Come on, Tim, wake up!’ I needed him to wake up, to know he was still alive. I couldn’t live with myself if I survived and he didn’t.

He groaned slightly and my head flooded with relief, though my mind was still fuzzy, so I felt really faint for a minute.

When he raised his head, he kept still for a moment, obviously taking his turn for his own eyes to adjust. Coughing slightly, he raised his head completely and turned to look at me.

‘Lizzie.. whe.. where are we..?’ he mumbled, barely audible even in the deafeningly silent room.

‘I don’t know, how long do you think we’ve been unconscious?’ I asked.

‘No idea. What was the last thing you remember?’

‘Seeing a Cadillac Escalade in the mirror, spinning, going off the road, being dragged into the car… Car… Card….. Card! Card! Business card!’ I said, my voice cracking.

‘What about a business card?’ Tim asked me, obviously confused.

‘Gibbs business card! I managed to leave one before the door of the car closed!’ I said excitedly.

‘You were wearing leathers, where did you get it from?’

‘I have a hidden pocket in these leathers, but not those,’ I said, gesturing to him.

Why didn’t I think of this sooner?!

‘Tim, I need you to turn your chair around, so we’re back to back,’ I told him.

‘Uh, why?’ he looked confused.

‘The pocket in my clothes! I have my Swiss Army Knife, I can cut the ropes!’ I told him.

‘Got it, turning around,’ he said.

We turned so he could reach the pocket, grab the knife, and hand it to me. Once it was in my hand, I started to cut through the thick rope holding Tim’s hands together.

Just my luck, though, as a clang sounded outside the door, and the lock clicked.

The door opened, and a man walked in. A pretty ugly man as well. Small black eyes, like a snake, matched the cobra tattoo up his arm. A long white scar ran from one ear to his chin. It’s hard to convey just how hideous he was.

‘Ah, I should have known you would try and escape, Elizabeth, I wouldn’t expect anything less from a marine, or ex-marine,’ he hissed.

‘It’s Lizzie, and there’s no such thing as an ex-marine,’ I spat at him.

Anger flashed across his face and he stormed over to us, grabbing my face in one hand.

‘Don’t you dare, ever, answer me back, sweetheart. Ever,’ he said directly to my face, spitting on me.

‘Geez, say it don’t spray it, mate,’ I said, once he’d let go of my face.

Instead, this time, he slapped me hard with the back of his hand, right across my face.

‘What the hell do you think you’re doing?! Leave her be! Do you know who her father is? When he catches you, you’ll wish you never even planned to do this,’ Tim shouted at him, making me jump. Since when has he been the standing up for people type?

‘Hey buddy, this is none of your business, stay out of it,’ Snake Eyes brushed him off.

‘So, do you know who my father is?’ I asked him levelly.

‘Sweetheart, I knew who your father was before you were born. Gibbs is an old enemy of mine, why do you think you’re here?’ he smirked.

‘Don’t you dare hurt him! Leave him alone! Gibbs doesn’t deserve anything like this!’ I growled at him.

He turned back to the door without regarding me at all.

‘Toby! I need you down here now!’ he yelled. I flinched at the name. I still couldn’t hear it without remembering every moment of that day. Tim rubbed my hand, the one that had now dropped my Swiss Army Knife. The one that Toby gave me.

We must be in a country area, otherwise he wouldn’t run the risk of someone hearing him.

A man came in, but stayed in the shadows not showing his face.

‘Toby, this girl has tried to escape. I think we need to lock her up?’ he questioned knowingly.

Lock me up? Where?

The man moved around the room, still staying in the shadows. What was he hiding? I followed him with my eyes as he moved, and almost had a heart attack when I saw the face.

Toby. My Toby. My stepfather, Toby. Who has been dead for four years.

As my eyes widened, and I opened my mouth to say something, although I don’t know what, I saw him subtly shake his head, telling me to keep quiet. I took the advice.

He walked behind me and untied my hands briefly, to take me away from the chair I’m guessing. I took the opportunity to push him back and run to Tim to untie him. Before I could get my knife to get through the tight knot, I was pulled back, and turned around to face Snake Eyes. He punched me right on my cheek, and I fell back. He picked me up and put me back on the chair. Toby had already stood back up, and put me in handcuffs behind the chair.

Right. Lock me up.