Chapter 27

Gibbs POV

‘Abbs? You there?’ I walked into the lab, but didn’t see Abby sitting at her usual spot at the computer, or at her desk in the office.

‘Abby…?’ I couldn’t seem to see her anywhere, but she wouldn’t have left the building. She feels safest here, and would want to stay here now that Lizzie and McGee had been taken. I heard a snuffle, which abruptly ended, as if someone was trying to hide it.

Poking my head around the door of the ballistics lab, I heard another snuffle, louder this time. Looking around, I found Abby in the corner with her knees tucked under her chin. She didn’t look like Abby – no dark lipstick, her hair left down instead of little ponytails or braids, red circles under her puffy eyes.

I didn’t say anything, just sat down next to her and put my arm around her. After a minute, I realised it probably wasn’t helping much.

‘Abbs, she’ll be fine,’ I told her.

‘I know, Gibbs. That’s cause you’re looking for her, it’s not that,’ she whispered.

‘What is it? What’s wrong, Abbs?’ I was really concerned now.

‘Apart from the fact that your famous gut isn’t telling you about Tony and Ziva?’ she giggled slightly, half-heartedly.

‘Yeah, apart from that,’ I smiled.

‘I got a call, earlier, that said to trace it and I’d find them. I knew who “they” were, I’m not stupid,’ she began.

‘So what’s the problem?’ I asked.

‘I traced the call, but I lost it in another country, and I can’t find it again. I can’t find it without Tim,’ she started to sob.

‘Shhh, it’s okay Abbs, it’s not your fault,’ I told her.

‘Bu-‘ she started.

‘But what, Abbs?’ I asked again.

‘There’s something, that we haven’t told you. Me, McGee and Lizzie. Well, to be fair, Lizzie only just found out, and me and McGee were looking for the right time to tell her anyway-‘

‘Abby, stop babbling, what is it?’ I looked her straight in the eye, knowing she’d give in.

She sighed, defeated, and got up, pulling me up as well. As she walked into the lab, she tied her hair up, and pulled some lipstick out of her lab coat pocket.

‘Gibbs,’ she started. ‘When Shannon and Kelly were in, the accident, did you see the bodies?’

‘No, they were too burned up to be identifiable, why?’ I was genuinely curious as to why she was asking about Shannon and Kelly. I mean, I had an idea, but I didn’t want it to be true, in case Lizzie’s current situation, well, ended badly.  

‘Well, the bodies you buried weren’t exactly Shannon and Kelly…’ she bit her lip, as if waiting for an outburst.

‘Abby… How do you know this? Why have you been digging around?’ I asked slowly.

‘Me and McGee have had our suspicions for a while now, and we wanted to confirm them, so we did a DNA test, with Lizzie’s DNA… and yours…’ she replied, typing rapidly into her keyboard.

The screen I had seen so many times popped up on the screen. A small section of a family tree, with a mother, father and child. Running the DNA would fill in the blank spaces.
Abby began to run the DNA, to fill in the blanks. After a minute, the results popped up. Me, in the father’s, Lizzie in the child’s, and…. Shannon in the mother’s….

‘Wait, so… Sophia and Kadyn… are Shannon and Kelly?’ I whispered.

Abby nodded slightly.

‘I also managed to pull up as much as I could on ‘Sophia and Kadyn Marsden’,’ she said.

‘So, they live in England, and they both were found near a hospital, when ‘Kadyn’ was approximately eight years old, suffering with extensive head injuries, which lead to amnesia,’ she gave me a pointed look. So even if I met them again, they wouldn’t remember me.

‘’Sophia’ was also pregnant, and the baby survived. Two years later, she was married to a ‘Toby Marsden’. He was a motorbike enthusiast, and died in an accident outside his home with a drunk driver, in which the youngest daughter – Elizabeth Marsden, was also severely injured.’

So she’d been through a lot. The only father she’d ever known, died in a horrible accident. I needed to find her, to let her meet the real father she never knew.

‘And she knew? This whole time?’ I asked Abby.

‘Only just before she came off crutches, when McGee took her home,’ she replied.

That’s why she was so much more casual around everyone, she actually felt part of the family. I smiled as I remembered her teasing Tony about not being able to type, and calling me ‘bossman’.

‘I forgot! The masked men from the kidna-‘ she coughed, as if she didn’t want to finish the word.

‘Even though they were wearing masks, they were very tight, thin masks, so I could identify the contours in their face. They’re running through facial recognition now,’ she smiled slightly brighter.

‘And Abby’s back,’ I gave her a hidden Caf-Pow! I’d hidden earlier.

I walked out, I needed to clear my head. There were too many thoughts up there. So I went to my basement.

A/N: sorry it's been a while! and it's short, but i though it was a good place to end it :)

vote comment follow! :)