Chapter 36

Lizzie POV

‘Hey, I bought a new car yesterday. I’ll show you when we leave,’ I said to Dad as we sat in McDonalds. I know, he said he’d pay for us for lunch, but I really fancied something unhealthy.

‘What is it?’ he said, his mouth full of burger.

‘I said I’ll show you when we leave,’ I smirked.

His face had me in hysterics, I had never seen such a tough, silent guy have such a pout. He obviously loved his cars as much as I did.

‘I got it from the wife of a friend I knew in Iraq. I tried to save him, it didn’t work out, but Gen still wanted to give me something. So I paid her for the car,’ I told him.

‘Hold on, she offered you the car, and you paid for it!?’ he seemed shocked.

‘Uh, yeah, it was the friend thing to do!’ I protested.

‘Yeah well, I don’t have many friends,’ always the marine.

Whilst we were talking, Ziva and Abby were whispering to each other on the next table.

‘Guys, whatcha talking about?’ I called over.

‘There is a charity ball coming up, and NCIS will be ambassadors. Jenny wants three of NCIS’s finest there, namely, you, Abby and I, preferably with plus one’s…’ Ziva implied.

‘And you want me to go with Tim?’ I finished for her, as she nodded hopefully. ‘Sure, why not. I’ll tell him tonight.’

‘Apparently Tony cannot go, so Abby is going to find me someone,’ Ziva seemed slightly down about it.

'And who is Abby going with?’

‘I can’t go, so the Director will go with Gibbs,’ Abby said, slightly unhappy, although I think the Director may have planned this, as she’s still wary of Abby’s dress sense.

‘I think we should get going, I know how long you girls take to get ready. We going to my house?’ Dad said, throwing away the wrapper from his food.

‘Gibbs! That must be the first time you ever invited anyone over!’ Abby almost yelled.

‘We were already going to mine, Abbs. I was just confirming,’ he held his hands up in defence. I grabbed one and tried to pull him along to the car park.

‘Come on!’ I said, dragging out the last word. ‘I need to show you my new baby!’ That was now my Mustang’s nickname. What? I had one, Tim had one, and now Baby had one.

Eventually we got to the space where my car was, and again, jaw hit floor.

‘It’s amazing, 1967 GT right?’ he asked.

‘Yeah, it is actually. It’s not one with the 289 V8 engine, but it’s the 390. Still got all 320 horsepower,’ I smiled, patting the bonnet.

‘You girls okay driving yourselves?’ Dad said to Abby and Ziva, tossing them the keys to the Dodge.

‘Sure,’ Abby smiled.

‘You mean you’re gonna let me drive you?’ I was shocked. When he was in the car, no one else drove.

‘Hell no. I’m driving,’ he smirked, taking the keys from my hand.

GIBBS HOUSE

‘Abby! You don’t even have to be anywhere tonight! Get out the bathroom!’ Ziva and I were alternating who would should upstairs to Abby, who was taking forever in the bathroom. Apparently she was setting up her make up to do ours.