Chapter 43

Lizzie POV

‘Excuse me?! How the hell did this happen!?’ I cried.

‘Oh come on, Lizzie, you know how it works. When a-‘ Abby grinned.

‘ABBY! Stop right there! I know how it happened, I just want to know… how!

‘Lizzie, my dear, this is not unusual for a girl your age…’ Ducky tried to make me feel better.

‘Ducky! I’m barely twenty! I can’t have kids! I mean, I’ve always wanted them, but when I was older! Not now!’ I didn’t know what to do.

‘Lizzie, calm down,’ Abby held onto my shoulders and stared me straight in the eyes. ‘Who do you need to tell?’

‘Well, Tim.. and Dad. Oh dear lord, how am I gonna tell Dad?!’ I started getting worked up again.

‘I don’t know… but promise me one thing,’ Abby said seriously.

‘Yeah?’

‘Do not abort it. I don’t care what you do otherwise, just do not abort your baby,’ she told me.

‘Abbs, I wouldn’t dream of it. I couldn’t do it,’ I reassured her.

And then Tim walked in. Abby closed the window on her computer and I hastily rubbed my eyes.

‘Err… everything okay?’ he asked, unsure.

‘Yeah! It’s fine, Abby was finishing off evidence reports, and Ducky came up here with some eye drops. I got something in my eye,’ I lied, pretty well if I do say so.

‘Oh, okay then,’ Tim smiled. ‘I just wanted to say that your dad gave us all the day off. Tony and Ziva have stuff to plan, and we’ve finished the case, so we can go home.’

‘Awesome, just let me grab my stuff from upstairs,’ I smiled back.

We went upstairs, and Tony and Ziva had already left. I said goodbye to Dad and we drove back to the apartment.

‘Hey, Lizzie? I’m just going out to the store, you want anything?’ I heard him call whilst I was in the bathroom.

‘No, I’m good, thanks,’ I called back. A million thoughts were racing through my head. How far along was I? How was I going to tell Tim? I’d have to do it sooner or later, but did he want kids? And how was I going to tell Dad? He’d probably kill Tim, and I dread to think what he’d do to me.

It didn’t feel like that long, but fifteen minutes later, I heard the front door close.

‘Lizzie? Can you come out here?’ I heard him call.

‘Yeah, give me a sec,’ I told him.

Wiping my eyes, and making sure they weren’t very red and puffy, I walked out to see what he wanted.

‘Hey, are you okay? Your eyes are all red,’ he asked.

‘Yeah, it’s just the eye drops Ducky gave me. They sting a bit,’ I told him. ‘Did you want me for something? Where’s the bags?’ I asked, noticing the absence of plastic bags on the counter.

‘Come with me,’ he smiled.

Taking my hand, he led me out of the door, and up the stairs to the roof, where we’d spent so many times. When we opened the door, the winter wind swept my hair across my eyes. After I’d brushed it out of the way, I saw that the few scraggly plants and trees that someone had put up here ages ago were now draped in tiny lights, and wind chimes hung from the branches. Candles were set up along the floor, and there was our usual ‘roof dinner’ – beer and takeaway pizza.

‘McMuffin! You know how much I love our roof dinners,’ I smiled.

‘I do know how much you love them, that’s why we’re here. You want a beer?’ he asked. I was about to accept when I remembered that I couldn’t drink anymore.

‘Yeah… about that… there’s something I need to tell you…’

‘What’s going on?’ he seemed genuinely concerned now.

‘I…er…I’m…’ I mumbled.

‘What?’

‘I'm pregnant?’ I spilled.

His face turned from shocked to scared, to excited.

‘I’m gonna be a dad?’ he started to smile.

I nodded, the corners of my lips turning up as well. He picked me up but hugged me gently.

‘And that’s why you couldn’t drink the beer,’ he murmured in my ear.

A/N: so sorry about the mismatched chapters, but i'm back on track now :)