Chapter 33

Lizzie POV

The day went pretty well after that, apart from the fact that Tim refused to go back to his own room, and insisted on sleeping on one of the hard plastic chairs next to my bed. The team came and went with flowers and balloons and chocolates, mainly Abby, although Ducky did bring me Galaxy chocolate, which they don’t sell in America, and it is my favourite.

Everyone was trying to avoid the fact that my mum and Kadyn could be dead, but I knew from Ducky not being here much and the whispered conversations that he was doing something, probably asked to do so by Gibbs, or Dad, or whatever I should call him now.

‘Hey bossman’ I croaked out as he walked in, my voice still getting better.

‘You know, you can call me Dad, I don’t mind,’ he smirked.

‘Yeah, I was wondering that, I just wasn’t sure,’ I smiled.

He rubbed my shoulder as he smiled back. I wonder if Mum and Kadyn could come and live over here, maybe their memory would come back?

‘Jethro,’ Ducky poked his head around the door, as Abby walked in. ‘Could I have a word outside?’

Dad left to talk to Ducky and Abby bounced around to the side of my bed.

‘Guess what!’ she said excitedly.

‘Abby, I swear to God, if you brought any more chocolate, I am going to burst,’ I told her laughing.

‘Well, yeah, I brought chocolate, what kind of a friend would I be if I didn’t?! But that’s not it. I spoke to the nurse at the desk, and she said you might be discharged in the morning!’

Thank God for that! My stitches had been taken out, my voice was getting better, all my bruises were gone and any cuts were now scars. I should be discharged!

‘Now, McGee, go outside!’ she pointed seriously at the door.

He looked shocked.

‘Wha- No! Abby! I’m not leaving!’ he protested.

‘Hey, it’s fine,’ I smiled at him, holding his hand. ‘Let me talk to my friend?’ I joked.

‘I thought I was your friend?’ Tim looked disappointed.

‘Well yeah, but you’re not a girl,’ I gave him a pointed look, and he held his hands up in defence.

‘Fine, do what you gotta do,’ he left the room, leaving me and Abby laughing.

So maybe they were doing a pretty good job of taking my mind off of things.

‘Sooo, what did you want to talk about?’ I asked Abby.

‘Right! Well, you know the whole so called ‘platonic’ relationship that Tony and Ziva have, that none of us are buying?’ I nodded.

‘We’re setting them up!’ Abby squealed.

‘Seriously?’ I asked her.

‘Seriously!’ she said. ‘Now hold on a second!’ and she left the room.

Obviously, she’d had some of her daily dose of caffeine not long ago…

She came back in a few minutes later with Tim, who came and sat back in his usual seat and took my hand, rubbing soothing circles into the back of it.

‘So, as I was saying to Lizzie, we are setting up Tony and Ziva!’ Tim looked as shocked as I was.

‘And to do it, we’re setting them up on a ‘blind date’!’ she continued. ‘McGee, you need to set him up on a ‘blind date’ on the 16th at 8pm at that little Italian restaurant not far from the NCIS building, and I’ll tell Ziva that I’m setting her up with someone!’

‘Er, okay… I’ll do what I can, Abby,’ Tim told her.

‘Yay!’ she ran back out of the room, as fast as she could in those boots.

I went off on a little train of thought, trying to figure something out.

‘What’s wrong?’ Tim snapped me out of it, looking at me with a worried look.

‘Hm? Nothing,’ I smiled again, trying to reassure him I was fine. ‘What’s the date?’

‘Um, the 3rd of November… why?’ he asked.

‘Just… the 16th is – ‘ I mumbled off the last bit, so he probably didn’t hear.

‘What did you say?’ he asked again. I sighed.

‘The 16th of November is my birthday, okay? I just didn’t really feel like celebrating, that’s all,’ I hung my head a bit, but he lifted it up.

‘Hey, that’s okay, how about we just call it a date? We can grab a take-out pizza and go to the park and just spend some time together,’ he said sweetly.

‘Sure, I’d like that,’ I said, meaning it.

‘Well, I’ve got to run home and get some more clothes, do you want me to go to your apartment and grab you some?’ he asked, kissing my cheek before he got up.

‘Okay, thanks, if I’m going to be discharged, I don’t really want to go home in a hospital gown,’ I said. ‘Hey what happened to my bike, I didn’t know what happened to it after the crash?’ I asked.

‘Um, well, it was a write off,’ he said scratching the back of his neck. ‘The insurance company weren’t going to pay it, so there’s no way of getting it fixed…’

Gibbs POV

‘What is it, Duck?’ I was worried at his face, something told me it wasn’t good news.

‘I’m sorry, Jethro. I have identified the bodies as Shannon and Kelly, and it is definitely them,’ Ducky sighed. ‘How are you going to tell her?’ he asked softly.

‘I don’t know, she’s going to be crushed,’ I ran my fingers through my hair, pacing the visitor’s room.

NEXT DAY

Lizzie POV

‘Mornin’ Miss Marsden! We can discharge you today!’ the sweet young nurse with the country accent came into the room, with my breakfast.

She placed the tray in front of me, and immediately I knew it wasn’t hospital food. Mostly from the McDonald’s paper and Starbucks coffee cups. I frowned and looked up at her.

‘Grace, this isn’t hospital breakfast…’

‘Oh I know! Agent Gibbs dropped it off for you and your boyfriend!’ she replied happily, before going out.

Blood rushed to my cheeks when she said that, my boyfriend.

‘Hey, Timmy,’ I shook him awake, waving his breakfast under his nose. He lifted his head at the smell of food.

‘Morning McMuffin!’ I grinned.

‘Please don’t call me that…’ he said as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

'Too bad, it’s your new nickname!’ I said, handing him his muffin and coffee.

He just groaned and took the food.

A/N: sorry it's been a while again! hope you like it :)