Chapter 5: certain obligations

*edited* ~ 15 / 02 / 2015

Hiccup

My heart ached, I hadn't slept at all last night. My head was filled to the brim with too many thoughts. Buzzing. Ringing. Climbing higher and higher until I had no choice but to cradle my sore head in my hands. Astrid.

"urgh!" I sighed and groaned, massaging my temple, with my equally as pained hands which I had found I had been lying on all night. Great. My head felt like it was about to explode any moment now. I looked around the room only to Quickly look away, as everything I looked at seemed to just remind me of her.

After, eventually getting in the right mood to go down stairs, checking to see if Toothless is in the room first. It's funny that he didn't wake me up - he probably caught onto my mood. Thinking that is the case, after one big stretch and another rub of my pounding head, I put on all of my armour sleepily, then sauntered down to breakfast, seeing my mum awaiting me - as always - at the table. Toothless, as predicted, is in the corner already stuffing his face with a basket full of fish. He abruptly stopped to look up and give me one of his gummy smiles, making me smile back before he got right back to devouring every morsel of his giant breakfast. He always seemed to cheer me up somehow.

my mum laughed as she watched him, she had tended to do that a lot lately. Guess the whole new night fury aspect is, well, new.

"Remarkable!" she exclaimed, examining him from head to toe as she had many times before, as if he's a puzzle just waiting to be solved. It made me smile, it's the first time I had seen my mother laugh properly, ever since, well let's just say a death occurred. She turned away from Toothless to me, stepping up from her spot at the table, smiling as she walked up and hugged me tightly, before pulling away and holding my face in her hands.

"You look so much like your father, you know?" she said mesmerised, her eyes scanning every inch of my face.

"Well that's funny because he always said that I looked so much like you!" I tried to joke but I just couldn't, my heart was splitting in two.

"Hiccup, son, what's wrong?" she asked, already catching onto my thoughts. I noticed that she's good at that - guess it must be a motherly power or something.  Sighing, I lifted my head up slightly to look her in the eye, despite trying to avoid it beforehand. She pulled me towards the table, then gesturing for me to sit with her free hand.

"I don't think I want to talk about it..." I said, trying to get out of the pointless inquisition that I had somehow been thrown into. I think I just wanted to go back to bed. I'd tried everything anyway, what sort of advice could she give me that would actually help?

"Hiccup, look at me son, I loved-love," she corrects her mistake "-your father. And when I was your age, we too fought, but nothing could stop us from being together, no matter what was holding us apart..." I looked up into my mother's mesmerising green eyes. "Hiccup, it just takes time to heal... Who is this lucky girl?" She looked at me with her wondering eyes.

"Erm... A-" just then Cloudjumper came in, breaking the conversation and pouncing on both me and mum, mums chuckling and,

"Oh, Cloudjumper!" scolds - although seeming to have no effect on him whatsoever - gave me time to wriggle out from underneath Cloudjumper, leaving my mum distracted as I headed out of the house with Toothless in tow.

"Phew that was close bud..." I patted Toothless' head grateful to be out of my there, and not having to tell my mother who all of this dilemma was for. The time would come for that. My mind whirred with the new advice that my very clever and demeaning mother had gave me, and she was right - as per usual. Which means one thing, I have to find Astrid.