Parent Trap (Part 6)

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Veronica and I were able to talk about a lot of things pero pareho atang dumugo yung ilong namin kaka-english. When we returned inside, the President and Mama were looking at us, smiling.

"We finished the laundry. Ate Trish helped me." Veronica said rather proudly.

Mama's beaming.

"Really? Well, Leni and I were talking about you, Tricia, and she told me that you're doing clerkship."

"Yes sir,"

The President looked at Mama, then me. "Well if it is ok with you, I'm visiting a hospital later, maybe you would want to come to see some kids,"

I didn't know where this is coming from but I felt like I want to go.

"Sure sir,"

"Ok lang ma'am?" He confirmed to me.

"Yes sir,"

--

I didn't know na kami lang pala ni President ang pupunta. I do wonder why. Please. Do. Not. Let. This. Be. What. I. Think. It. Is. Because. No., I thought but I also felt that it would be impolite to decline his offer. I was told that we would visit the child cancer patients and it is something the President, then Mayor, would regularly do.

We were quiet inside the vehicle. I wanted to ask him a lot of questions but I don't know how. He's really different behind the scenes compared to when I see him on TV.

"Sir?"

"Yes Ma'am?" He faced me.

"Tricia nalang po,"

He smiled.

"Is this meeting that you'll have with Mama, so important, it can't wait until tomorrow?" I asked frankly.

"Something came up and I needed to talk to her. I am very sorry for the disturbance it caused you."

I felt a little guilty. "Um, can't you talk about it sa phone nalang or somewhere?"

He smiled sympathetically. "It is too risky to do that," he muttered.

"Di ba mas risky yung pinabyahe mo pa kami?"

"I'm so sorry Ma'am,"

I do not mean to offend him but maybe I sounded a little harsh. "No sir, I'm just curious." I quietly say.

"You have all the right to be,"

We were quiet for the rest of the trip. We arrived at the Southern Philippines Medical Center. We were led to the House of Hope, a temporary home for children with cancer. The President told me he's supposed to visit here during Kadayawan but there were too many events that required his presence. We went to the Temporary Shelter to meet the kids who were undergoing therapy and awaiting their results. He asked me if I can help distribute some help and pasalubong and if I want to talk to the kids.

He said the kids would be happy to see me, a young doctor-in-waiting.

We went inside, room per room, bed per bed. While he was talking with some, I engaged with the others and despite the language barrier, I managed. The elders explained to me slowly the conditions of the kids. I was so happy to see them.

"I want to be a doctor like you, ate,"

"Really? You will be!" I tell the patient cheerfully as I pinch his cheeks softly.

"If I make it through ate, I will be!" He said cheerfully through his face mask.

I held back my tears. I continue to engage with patients, some looked at me curiously, a random doctor making rounds with the President. The kids looked at me, amused, as I always start my introduction as, My name is Tricia and I'm a doctor.

After doing rounds, we were invited to the social hall to witness a small program prepared by some kids. While I do not understand most of the language spoken, I enjoyed it so much. The kids, albeit their sickness, were brimming with so much life. I tried to hold back my tears as much as I can.

But the person beside me cannot anymore.

It was the President, sobbing.

Veronica told me that her father is iyakin, lalo na sa kids, she says. I watch him blow his nose quietly on his handkerchief.

"Sorry ma'am,"

"Pinipigilan ko lang din ung akin, sir," I tell to comfort him.

"I do not understand why these young ones have to go through this,"

"Because, they can get through this sir. Let us be strong, with them." I tell him and held his arm.

He looked at me. I smiled at him. I never saw him this way and while I am hesitant to put my guard down on him, I appreciate this side of him.

"Tama ka, Ma'am."

"Mahirap sir. When I started clerkship, I realized that my problems, sometimes, ay walang wala sa problema ng iba. Sometimes, words of encouragement could go a long way." I chuckled. "They even tell me, Doc, dahil ikaw nagsabi, kampante na kami. Naiiyak ako minsan, kasi parang god, help me dito. Di ko 'to kaya on my own. They've put so much trust to me na, I felt I cannot let them down."

He nodded, listening to me intently.

"So ayun," I still hold back tears. "I have to be stronger kahit minsan parang wala kaming paki, because minsan, kami yung sandigan nung pasyente. We're humans too and napapagod din, may emosyon din pero kailangan yung perspective is broader, patience longer. It can save a life, I think." I smiled at him as I sniffled a bit.

He held my hand that I put on his arm and patted it lightly.

"You're very much like you're mother."

--