Parent Trap (Part 7)

Sunday, August 26, 2018

It's 5 pm and we're headed back to the President's house. I loosen up a bit towards him and laughed heartily at his jokes. We also discussed some serious topics as I ask him what and why. He also told stories about Davao and Mindanao and I learned a lot.

When we arrived, I saw Mama and Veronica in the kitchen giggling over something. They too, have become closer. I smiled.

This is such an unbelievable, surreal moment in our lives.

When our presence was made known, they told me they're trying to bake durian cake. They were following a recipe online and I saw the almost-finished product.

"Sana edible," Veronica muttered and we laugh as she put the cake in the oven.

"Let's have the dinner at Jack Ridge, okay lang?" The President suddenly asked.

I just nodded. "Can I come?" Veronica asked.

Mama was the one who answered. "Sama ka na, ligo ka na." She said lovingly to her and she smiled back to her and I felt a little jealous for myself and Ate and Baby Robs.

And so we went and Mama and I went first. I felt like I've been away from her for so long that I hugged her tight when we settled and we talked excitedly in the car. We even called over Skype Ate and Jill. (A: Aika; J: Jill; T: Tricia, L: Leni)

L: "Kamusta kayo dyan?"

A: "Ok naman po dito mama, malamig talaga sa America." We laughed.

J: "We miss you mama!"

T: "Si mama lang??"

J: "Kausap ka na namin kanina, wag masyadong clingy."

A: "Oy Patricia, bakit puffy eyes mo, did you cry, OMG!"

J: "OMG HE DID NOT"

T: "Of course not! Ano bang meron sa hanging NY na nasinghot nyo?"

Mama's just laughing.

A: "Mama, anong nangyari dyan? Uuwi na ba ako?"

J: "Bakit ka umiyak Ate Patty? Spill!"

T: "Di ako umiyak, teary-eyed lang."

A: "Bakit nga?"

T: "Sa hospital kasi, ung mga child cancer patients.."

L: "Sinama siya ni President sa House of Hope to meet some child cancer patients. Nagbonding sila dun." Mama teased as the two in NY laughed.

J: "OH MY GOD TRISH LIKE OH MY GOD"

T: "Jill, stop"

A: "Is he trying to win you – "

T: "Can you all please stop?" I say as they all laugh at me. I turned to Mama. "Mama, I cannot believe you did this!" More laughter.

L: "He was the one who suggested it. When he knew you're doing clerkship he said maybe you want to come over." Mama replied, between fits of laughter.

A: "Maybe he wanted you to see some kids."

J: "Maybe he's trying to win you over."

T: "Stop na, ok?"

A: "So, how's he?"

I looked at them and then Mama. They were all excited to know my opinion of him. I sighed.

T: "He's nice. Naiyak siya sa mga kids during a presentation. Very quiet and unassuming when we were there. I did not feel I am with the President. Ayun."

A: "Towards you, how is he?"

T: "He's soft spoken. He's a storyteller and a joker, he made me laugh. I learned a lot of things though i-fact check ko yung iba." We laughed.

J: " So what do you think – "

T: "What do you mean what I think – puwede ba." I rolled my eyes.

The two on the screen just laughed. Mama smiled at them.

J: "Eto naman, what do you think of him sasabihin ko, ikaw talaga,"

T: "I think he's completely different sa personal compared  to what we see sa TV or probably sa work." I looked at Mama. She smiled.

A: "So where you're going now? You're in a car eh?"

T: " Yeah, dinner."

J: "Kamusta meeting niyo, Mama?"

Mama looked at me and we laughed.

L: "Mag-memeeting palang."

A: "Huh? Dinner meeting?"

T: "Remember the dinner the President said we'll have together as families, yun."

A: "Oy ang daya, wala kami dyan."

J: "Skype!!"

T: "Ok lang na gutumin namin kayo because kakain kami?"

A: "Sino kasama sa side ni President?"

T: "Si Veronica lang ata."

The two in NY laughed.

T: "Why?"

A: "I feel like you girls are chaperoning the two of them." We laughed.

J: "Or the two of them is taking out the girls to dinner I AM SO INGGIT NA" We laughed again.

T: "Hay ewan ko sa inyo. Oy alam nyo ba," I looked at Mama.

A: "What?"

T: "Mama and Veronica baked a cake together ano kayo ngayon."

J: "Totoo Mama? Grabeng personal diplomacy na ito ah!" We laughed.

A: "I am so amused by the fact that Veronica is so warm to you guys, I mean,"

T: "Tigilan nyo nga yang "I MEAN" nyo," and they laughed at me again.

J: "Ano ka ba ate, sino ba naman hindi magiging warm sa napakaganda nating Vice President, di ba?"

A: "Sabagay, may point ka Jill." I know they're teasing me.

T: "Hay naku, end ko na nga itong call."

L: "Ingat kayo palagi dyan ah. Pasalubong na chocolates."

J: "We love you Mama! Pahingi pambili ng pasalubong." We laughed.

A: "Patty pasalubong ha. Kapag walang pomelo pag-uwi ko,"

T: "Meron na nga!"

We ended the call after a few more minutes as we were told that we've arrived. They say that the place have very nice views of Davao City and the Gulf of Davao. I am surprised that there were many people snapping pictures of us. I was kind of expecting that the President would request to close the place down.

--