Chapter 3 - A Little Dirt Don't Hurt

This is not my story. This is deadlydaisy8o8's story. I am merely copying and fixing grammatical and punctual errors here and there. Nothing more.

~~~~

AN/: If you ask me, I think this chapter is a nice little break from all the angst in the first two. I like it anyway, I think it's really funny. Once again, than you for giving my humble little story here a chance. You guys are too kind. (beams) 

---- 

Running to the Enemy's Arms 

Chapter 3: A Little Dirt Don't Hurt 

by: deadlydaisy8o8 

Originally Uploaded: Monday, May 31, 2010, 7:44 PM 

Edited: Tuesday, November 6, 2012, 8:13 PM 

*Grammatical and Punctual Errors Fixed (by MerciLani): Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 2:18 PM* 

---- 

Danny's POV: 

I stood in the dark at the end of a white gravel driveway. A cow mooed in the distance and crickets made no one was left in any sort of silence. My eyes brightly glowed, allowing me to use night vision to see the enormous house before me, and the grand staircase that lead up to the front door. I looked again at the brochure I had picked up from a rest stop. 'The Vladimir Masters Estates' it proudly declared at the top. On the inside, there was a short history of Vlad's rise into riches along with there his house was located. A small place to park had been built on the opposite side of the road, so that people could come and take pictures of 'The Home of the Dairy King and Current Residence to Vladimir Masters'. I double checked the address to make sure I was at the right place. Though I guess that was stupid, as there aren't many mansions in the middle of Wisconsin. 

I had stopped periodically at rest stops along the highway to make sure I was headed in the right direction. I knew the general area where Vlad lived in Wisconsin, and as soon as I got close, brochures started showing up, advertising the old home of the Dairy King. I had picked one up with a map on it, but I still stopped at rest stops anyway, just to make double sure I was going the right way, or maybe to stall. Either way, I needed the rest those stops provided. I had been flying for a good five hours, and I was exhausted. As if to reiterate the fact, I opened my mouth in a wide yawn. 

I don't know why I was still standing at the end of the driveway; of course this was Vlad's house. All I had to do now was walk up the driveway and knock on the door. It was easy as pie. I just had to put one foot in front of the other and walk up to my enemy's porch, knock cheerfully on the expensive stained oak, and wait for the fruitloop himself to welcome me in with open arms. Yep, it was a piece of cake from here. I had already done all the hard work by flying out here; all that was left to do was go and knock on the door to let him know I was here. I just had to walk up the steps to the front door of my enemy's mansion and ask for help. Oh yeah, a real cake walk. 

I transformed into my human half with a flash of light. It was immediately darker and I was slightly disoriented. I willed my green eyes forth so I could see better. Nervously, I put one foot in front of the other and I crunched along the white gravel driveway, feeling a little more of my dignity fall away with each step. I kept my eyes on the ground, not really wanting to face what was in front of me. I stopped when I came to the bottom of a flight of white marble stairs. I rolled my eyes; the fruitloop was so excessive. I sighed again and looked up at the front door. From here it looked like it was at the top of a mountain. 

My eyes were complaining about being forced open. I was so tired. Sure, I was used to pulling all-nighters, and usually I was pretty good at handling the aftereffects, but I had been using my powers constantly for the past five hours, and I could feel it. My energy was low, and I wasn't going to make it much longer before I just passed out. I sighed and forced my sore limbs to move. I took it one step at a time until I got to the top of all twenty-three stairs. Why someone would need that many stairs leading up to their front porch was beyond me. 

I took my eyes off the ground and they found the double doors. For doors, right now they seemed pretty intimidating. It was easy to imagine them in the entrance to a haunted house with the enormous lion knockers and the dark stain of the wood. I had a private laugh with myself as I realized that technically the house was haunted. However, the slight realization did nothing for the situation at hand. 

I looked at the rest of the front porch as if searching for instructions about what to do next. There were no chairs or places to sit on the massive porch like you might expect. The only thing that took up space on the expanse of white marble was the occasional potted plant along the railing. I sighed and looked back at the door. 

"Suck it up, Fenton. It's just a stupid piece of wood; you can do this." I looked the door over one more time before I went the last five or so feet towards it. I was finally there... and it wasn't so bad. I mean, the door was pretty nice looking, and I liked the way the grain looked under the stain. Maybe knocking on the door wouldn't be so bad. Maybe I could do this. 

I took a breath and raised my fist; I let my knuckles hover over the polished lumber. I looked around idly, and I realized it was really dark out. It sounds like a stupid thing to notice to you, sure, but it got me wondering: exactly how late was it? I dropped my fist and walked out from under the protected porch onto the first few steps, descending it. I spotted the moon high in the sky, not planning on coming down any time soon. It had to be pretty late. I mean, I didn't even know if Vlad was awake or not, and if my parents were any indication, then there was no way he was awake at this hour. He probably wouldn't appreciate being woken up in the middle of the night. If I did wake, I had no trouble imagining him getting angry with blasting me back to Amity. I didn't know if he was a morning person or not. Was he a light sleeper? Would he be upset if he was disturbed? Would he be angry? I didn't know and I really didn't want to take the chance to find out. 

I looked back at the door and then back out into the night. Maybe I could wait until morning? Yeah, that could work; I would just wait until a more reasonable hour to knock on the door. It's not like the fruitloop would know that I'd been out here all night. I'd probably be better received too if I waited. It was the perfect plan. 

I walked back up to the top step and sat down to wait. Let out another yawn and stretched my arms. I was definitely doing the smart thing here. I mean, who knows what sort of insane reaction I was going to get from him if I woke him up in the middle of the night? Yep, this was definitely one of my smarter plans. 

I rested my head on my hands and looked out into the night sky. My eyes begged to be allowed to close. I went ahead and let them. I'd just give my eyes a rest; there wasn't any harm in that. I listened to my own breathing and how it matched up to the sounds around. I listened for a while, letting my mind go blank. I felt oddly comfortable for being on a cold marble step, but hey, I wasn't complaining. I let my brain idle, forgetting where I was and why. Then somewhere along the line, without my discretion, I went from awake to asleep.