Sitting, Waiting, Wishing

This is not my story. This is deadlydaisy8o8's fanfic from Fanfiction.net. I am merely correcting grammatical and punctual errors. Enjoy.

~~~~

AN:/ Told you I was excited!

~~~~

Running to the Enemy's Arms

Chapter 24: Sitting, Waiting, Wishing

By: deadlydaisy8o8

Originally Uploaded: Tuesday, September 21, 2010, 5:20 PM

Edited by: MerciLani on Saturday, September 5, 2020, 3:40 PM

~~~~

Sam's P.O.V.

Ow.

That was all that dominated my mindscape as Tucker and I laid in my bed. We were taking a small break from catching ghosts. The lights were so that our eyes didn't have to look at anything, and it was completely silent. It didn't occur to me that us lying in the same bed was awkward or weird. No, we were both too tired for that. All that I could focus on was the throbbing in my limbs.

It hadn't been bad at first, going after all the ghosts. All that I had to show for the constant ghost hunting were the dark circles under my eyes. And really, those just made me look more Goth, so I was cool with it. The first three days or so had been fine. They were stressful, but I could deal with it.

Then the pain started. I was on my feet constantly, fighting ghosts, and just standing would feel like I was on a bed of pins and needles. All over my body, my muscles tightened if they were left immobile for too long. I had to constantly stretch them out to prevent cramps. I could escape the pain in my body if I rested though. If I sat down, the pain in my feet went away. If I let go of the gun I clung to, my hands would throb before they returned to their normal color. It was by no means pleasant to be moving so much and so frequently, but a lot of the time I could ignore the pain. When I went to sleep for an hour or two, it would go away completely.

Then the pain got to a point where it didn't go away if I simply sat down. There was no escaping it. My feet especially were constantly aching, biting a little with every heartbeat. I had to let out the laces on my combat boots because my feet were so swollen. My arms and chest were bruised all colors of the rainbow. I had every major joint wrapped in some sort of bandage or some sort of brace.

I kept on fighting ghosts though. I had to - the town needed me. Without Danny, it was a fine line between order and chaos as far as ghosts go. We were due to see a few reinforcements of GIW agents on Friday, but I doubted they would be of any help. They would most likely just get in the way.

Anyway, after continuing through all of this, the pain finally started to ebb. Though, I wasn't sure if what I was experiencing now was any better or worse than before. The pain wasn't a bite anymore but more of an ache. I was just outright sore. It was like my body had given up trying to get me to slow down and was now settling on this throbbing sort of twinge that just sucked away my energy.

I had to keep hunting ghosts though. It was like I said - even without me, one person, it was likely that the ghosts would get the upper hand.

Ghosts were attacking all hours of the day. It didn't matter to them whether it was two in the morning or the afternoon. Someplace, somewhere, there was bound to be a ghost scaring people and causing some sort of destruction. I honestly don't understand what people found so scary about ghosts. They all looked the same; glowing unearthly colors with some sort of feature that was either very provocative or ugly. It got old fast to find excuses to fight essentially the same ghost over and over again.