Prom (prinxiety and background logicality)

They're humans

Virgil:
Walking into school, its prom central. Banners, promposals, people talking about it, planning committee running around stressed, everything.
I've never been to prom. I can only imagine that its hectic, romantic and boring.
"Virgil!" I was pulled out of my thoughts by Roman, my best friend. He jogged over.
"What?" I asked as he caught up with me.
"Question." He said.
"Shoot." I responded.
"You going to prom?" He asked.
"No." I replied sternly.
"Cmon! We're seniors!" He whined.
"Im aware." I smiled.
"Why?" He kept whining.
"Because number one, it sounds stupid. And two, who goes without a date?" I told him.
"Fine. I'll be your date." I wasn't sure if he was joking or not, but I responded with
"Very funny."
"Im not joking. We don't have to go like a couple, as friends. We can go with Patton and Logan!" He tried to convince me.
"Ugh. Fine." I gave in.
I really just wanted him to shut up.
A few moments later, a cheerleader came up to Roman.
Roman was also a cheerleader, so of course he knew her.
"Hey Harmony!" He exclaimed, waving.
"Hey Roman! I was just wondering if you, um." She began.
Two more cheerleaders came over and cheered
"Go. To Prom. Go, go to prom!"
And harmony ended with
"With me!"
A few people were watching. I felt a weird feeling in my gut. Of course Roman will say yes. He wants a romantic date. He wants to go with a girl. He was just trying to get me to go.
"What do you say?" Harmony breathed, inching closer to my best friend. He turned to me.
"Im sorry but," he began.
Here we go.

Roman:
"I already have a date. Im really sorry Harmony. I hope we can be friends!" I told her, wincing.
Virgil looked shocked.
And so did Harmony.
"Who?!" She shrieked. "I'll bet you im prettier and better than her!"
"Im going with Virgil. We're going as friends. Im really sorry." I said.
She nearly screamed. The two other cheerleaders behind her, Roxie and Callie, shot me dirty looks and the three stormed away.
"Why the hell did you do that?" Virgil asked.
"Do what?"
"Reject a pretty girl. For me. Reject an actual date. For me."
"Because we are going together." I told him.
Though the real reason was that 1. Im gay and 2. I really like Virgil.
No preppy cheerleader is going to ruin my date with the hottest, awesomest, coolest boy I know.
I know he thought we were going as friends. But I will settle for that.
"Guys! Are you going to prom?" Patton rushed over, stressed. He had been stressed for a while, being president of the dance committee.
"Yes. Both of us." I said.
He raised his eyebrow.
"Virgil? You've never liked prom!" He said.
"Roman convinced me to go senior year." He shrugged. Heck yea I did.
"And Roman, who's the lucky person?" One of the things I love about Patton is that I've only ever dated girls, nobody knows im gay and yet, he never assumes its a girl.
"Virgil. We're going as friends. Do you and Logan want to join us?" I responded.
Patton and Logan, our other best friend, have been dating since freshman year. They are adorable together.
"Sure! that sounds per-" he was cut off by his phone ringing.
"Sorry to cut this conversation short!" He exclaimed before answering his phone.
As he walked away, I heard him saying
"Remy! I know! We're all tired!" And
"We don't have time for Starbucks!"

The night of prom
Virgil:
I put on my suit. Why did I agree to this?
Knock Knock.
"Virgil! Come down! Romans here!" My mom practically sang.
She was overjoyed that I was going to prom. I wasn't.
I walked down the stairs to see my best friend looking pretty hot. Wait. What? Did I call Roman hot? Shake it off, Verge.
"You look good." He breathed after I fully made it down the stairs.
We hugged briefly, and I felt his heart beating like crazy.
Another knock on the door came a minute of two after Roman arrived,
Patton and Logan were waiting in the door.
My mom made us take a few pictures before we all piled into Romans Jeep. We had a pretty decent jam session on the way there.
"Streetlights! People!" We all sang.
I was riding shotgun. I looked over at Roman driving the car, drumming on the steering wheel and I couldn't stop thinking about how hot he was.
But I don't have a crush. I definitely don't.
But damn, that boy was a sight for sore eyes.
We reached school and walked into the gym.
Immediately, we were met with tons of sparkly dresses, earth shaking loud music and a few dirty looks for Roman, because he rejected Harmony.
We made our way to a small reserved table in the back.
Of course Patton reserved us a table.
Everybody sat down except Logan.
"Drinks, anyone?" He asked.
"Coke."
"Diet Dr Pepper!"
"Lemonade please!"
Patton. Who drinks lemonade at a dance?
Logan came back soon after, holding the beverages.
We sat and talked for a while until Dancing Queen by Abba came on.
We all rushed to the dance floor. Where we spent the rest of the night.

Roman:
After all the upbeat songs had been played, a slow song came on.
All he couples began to dance.
"Wanna dance?" I mustered up the courage to ask Virgil.
"Sure." He laughed. I could tell he was having a good time.
We began to sway back and forth, him holding my shoulders, me holding his hips gently.
"Why'd you invite me?" He asked out of nowhere.
"Because I wanted you to go to prom." I lied.
"Really?" He seemed disappointed.
"No." I began to rip off the band aid.
"I asked you because I like you. I have since freshman year, Verge. I really like you."
I prepared for heartbreak, but I was instead met with Virgil smiling.
"I like you too." He said.
We both leaned in slowly until our lips met. Magic. Thats the only way to describe it.
We broke apart due to lack of air right before Patton began to speak through a microphone.
"Thank you for coming everybody. The committee and I have been working really hard to prepare this. But now, let us celebrate our prom royals!" He exclaimed.
Forgot about that. People began to vote about a week before the Harmony incident.
"Prom king is...." Patton yelled. People made a drum roll on their thighs and tables.
"Roman Prince!"
What? I won. Again?
"And the queen is...." more drum rolls, "Harmony Wilson!"
Crap. Crap. Crap.
She got up on the stage, me following shortly after.
"Thank you so much for four years of winning prom queen. I know that this crown will look amazing next to my cheer awards, my pageant awards and my many others." She said. God, I hate her.
"Thanks guys. I want to take this as a good opportunity to say two things." I inhaled.
"First of all, im gay. Second of all, Virgil Black. Will you go out with me?" I asked.
People began to whisper before I saw him. Virgil rushing on stage and nodding before kissing me once more. Goodness gracious, its like going to Hogwarts.
We got cheers and boo's from homophobic assholes. Excuse my language.
Virgil:
So maybe going to prom was a good idea...
I never let myself say I liked Roman, but I realized, the whole time, I did.
But, now, its graduation.
We're all on stage, weeping as we leave school. Reminiscing over what was.
The teacher reading off our superlatives.
"Cutest couple: Roman and Virgil!" She announced.
Oh. My. God. Patton is dead.

My boyfriend and I make our way up to the podium and say thank you, blushing profusely.
With a final kiss as a high school student, Roman and I turn our tassels to the other side, and throw our caps.