19. Their Arrogant Mate

Edit/Re-Written: June 11, 2022

     A Knight W/ Shining Eyes: Chapter Nineteen; Their Arrogant Mate

Warnings: none

Fluctuating 3rd POV

     A soft moan escapes Neal as he begins to wake up from a, quite frankly, splending dream. But with consciousness comes the registration of dull pain, and a hiss also escapes him shortly after. Chuckling behind him, Eric shifts so that his short breaths hit the side of Neal's neck, "You okay?"

     Concern is laced alongside his words and it warms Neal as he carefully turns on to his back. Even when it hurts he's happy because it serves as evidence to what happened. It lets him know that it wasn't a dream. He's sure that he's smiling like an idiot when his eyes meet his mates, "Yeah," He responds with a nod, throat raspy and low. "Better than ever, actually." He reaches out to cup his cheek, You?"

     Eric smiles at the question, his entire expression soft. "Better than ever."

__

     As Neal stares at himself in the body mirror in the closet, he awes at the newly developed markings that have appeared across his skin. Bonding marks had always fascinated him, like everything else about werewolves. When he had asked Ian, when he had found out about him and the red-string belief, the Omega had grated his teeth at the mention of bonding marks.

     "If you're a supernatural entity as well you only get one mark, because you're aware and because there isn't much fight for mating," He had said, palm over his throat where a bond mark would show. "But if you're a human, you get more marks, I don't know how many specifically, but more than one."

     "Why?" Neal had asked, eyes large and ready to take in all the information provided to him.

     Ian had looked at him with hate, not towards him but towards the topic. "To tie you down, to make sure you won't leave them."

     Looking back at the conversation now, Neal's sure Ian was still hating on the Council and their complete ruling over him. He had still hated the idea of being tied to someone who would most likely treat him like a slave because looking at the markings now, Neal didn't feel tied down at all. There is one in the junction of his shoulder and neck, the common one mant mates showcased to others. There's another inside his thighs, and one above his ass, in the curve of his torso. Looking towards the entrance of the closet, he finds his mate leaning against the door frame, eyes filled with nothing but admiration.

     "Do you like them?" He asks, walking up behind Neal to wrap his arms around his torso - one around his hip and the other traveling up his chest to wrap around his neck. Neal can only nod as he leans back against his mate's chest, breath picking up as fingers press into the soft skin of his neck. The touch is different, not as intense as before, still as noticeable, but more satisfying in a way.

     "You know, when I first met you, I was scared of you." Neal informs, studying how their forms seem to mesh together perfectly. Eric's expression remains calm, eyes loving and lips pulled into an endless-smile.

     "Really? You seemed pretty confident to me." He laughs, a loud - free kind of laughter that fills the small space.

     Chuckling, Neal holds back the soft sigh that wants to escape him when his mate leans down to nip at his neck, "Well it's good to know that my fear didn't show."

     He honestly wouldn't have known what to do with himself if Eric had started interrogating him, especially after knowing that he was serious about their 'mating connection'.