22. Home

Edit/Re-Written: June 12, 2022

     A Knight W/ Shining Eyes: Chapter Twenty-Two; Home

Warnings: none

Fluctuating 3rd POV

     Neal chews his food softly as the atmosphere around him thickens. He doesn't mind - he understands why the Alpha's freeze in place, stiffening in their seats as they think of what to do. Ian had just walked down the stairs. His two identical and scrumptious, according to Neal, twin mates following close behind him. Neal understands how the Alpha's feel. It's the same way he feels towards his brother's new boyfriend; possessive, analytical, and unsure.

     Although these are wolves, there's nothing to be unsure about. They are destined to be together. Other motives aside from love and lust should've been thrown out of the window the second that fact was revealed. Looking over to his mate, Neal pokes Eric's stomach, successfully catching his attention. With a raised eyebrow, Eric looks over before placing his forefinger against his lips - giving his mate the silent command to keep quiet. Pouting, Neal turns back to his food.

     In front of them, his best friend gulps. "Dads, I think it's time for you guys to meet my mates."

     There is hesitation in Ian's voice and Neal holds back the want to go up there and provide his best friend with comfort. But that's not my job right now, he thinks, looking up to see Ian's hands intertwined with one of the twins' hands. Right now, he concludes, it's their job.

     An unknown, new sense of relief fills Neal quickly as he thinks about his best friend. He had come downstairs and is ready to introduce his mates to his parents; he hadn't decided to continue to run away from it. Even when he had rejected them at first, he learned the consequences from his own actions and changed. Tears prickle at the edges of Neal's eyes at the realization that his best friend wouldn't be alone.

     Reaching beneath the table, Neal grabs Eric's hands and tangles them together. Sensing his mate's growing uneasiness, Eric quickly links with his Alpha's, excusing themselves from the breakfast get-together.

     Ian's eyes widen as he notices his best friend's uncomfortable shifting, face being hidden by his long strands of dark hair. It's a common thing he does, the hiding of his eyes, when he isn't feeling well. Looking over at him, Eric sends Ian a firm nod as he stands - hand holding onto one of Neal's.

     "Neal. . ." Ian whispers, hand tightening around Luke's hand. At the whispering of his name, Neal looks over at him - letting go of his mate's hand and whispering something to him before making his way over to Ian. The Omega lets go of Luke's hand, meeting Neal halfway and beginning him into a hug - one of his hands cradling the back of Neal's head. Looking over the bundle of Neal's hair, he sees his dad's whispering to themselves, moving around the kitchen as they try and clean up breakfast.

     Closing his eyes, Ian rests his head against the side of Neals - ignoring everyone else in the room.

     "I'm sorry, you should've been the first to meet them." You've been my family for years, he thinks, tightening his hold around Neal's lean frame.

     With a chuckle, Neal pulls away. "I did meet them, I'm the one that let them in."

     At that Ian narrows his eyes as he looks down at Neal because he's right. With a scoff, he pushes his friend away and points to the door of the cabin, "Get your ass out of here."

     "Goodluck," Neal says with a chuckle. "Call me over when you can." With that as his goodbye Neal makes his way out of the cabin, meeting up with his mate who had decided to wait on the porch patiently. Neal snuggled into his mate, trying to get under his arm and Eric helps him, slinging it over his mates shoulder and bringing him to the side of his torso.

     "Want to talk about it?" Eric asks, referring to his mate's earlier uneasiness as he nuzzles his nose into Neal's long, silky hair. Shaking his head, Neal grins up at him.

     "Nah, I'm just really happy." A second passes, then, "Ready to head back home?"

     Home. The word strikes cords within Neal as he says them. Mainly because he had only ever considered his best friend his home, the place where he felt safe and the place where he could spill his secrets and feelings without any sort of hesitation. Even when sometimes Ian seems like a strictly professional person who never cared about other people's feelings, he had cared for Neal - and Neal is sure he still does. And now, Eric is another place where he is feeling like. . .home.

     "Home? Our home?" Eric asks, wanting some clarification. . . and also wanting to hear it come from Neal's mouth again.

     "Well, I consider home to be with you. So wherever you want to go is fine with me, but make sure it isn't too far from where my brother lives, I pay his bills." Neals scoffs, leaning even more against his mate.

     Eric lets out a hum, "Is that so? Does that mean you'll have to get a new job?"

     This time it's Neal's turn to hum. "I don't know. I mean he's got a boyfriend now, he could just have him be his sugar daddy." He says with a dramatic shrug and an exaggerated expression.

     Eric barks out a laugh, "And what if he isn't into that lifestyle?"

     "Well, we still have to make a plan to scare him." Neal started, a glint entering his eyes as he met Eric's gaze. They shared a smirk, "When I give him a visit, I can look for his wallet and get his information. Or, you know, ask for Fates Foxes help." He shrugs, "Either way, it's time for me to give Dayon some space to build his own path."

     "And Skylar?" Eric asks then, still curious as to when he would be able to meet his mates family. Even when Neal hadn't gone around to introduce himself to every single pack member, he met the important ones, and news travels fast in a closed off pack.

     "He. . .he still needs some work, maybe two or three years tops. But he'll meet someone before he graduates highschool." Eric doesn't question how Neal knows this, he knows Neal probably doesn't understand how it works either. He's just speaking without a care in the world, and sometimes it's just the words of a fox.

     "And when he does get with someone, are you going to intimidate him too?" Eric asks, hoping that his questions weren't somehow annoying his mate. Neal smiles, glancing up towards the now cloudy sky.

     "Nah." He answers with a shake of his head, "He won't need to be scared. Unlike Dayon, Skylar didn't really get much trauma - except for his extreme fear of loud noises - but other than that I believe he can handle himself. Now, I can't stop anything," Neal pauses with a frown. "He will be hurt and will doubt himself. But he will work it out."

     With that he turns to face his mate once more. Eric smiles down at him, tightening his hold on his mate's shoulder and leading them back towards his cabin. It isn't a permanent home, but it'll do for now.  

><><><><><

I am veryveryveryvery sorry that I haventupdatedinliketwoweeks. I'll try my best from now on to stay on schedule (-(.

<3