24. We Will Be Okay

Edit/Re-Written: June 13, 2022   

     A Knight W/ Shining Eyes: Chapter Twenty-Four; We Will Be Okay

Warnings: none

Fluctuating 3rd POV

     There is a knock on the door. The sound makes Eric groan on his mate's lap, turning on the narrow couch so he can snuggle into Neal's stomach as he tries to nap. Said mate laughs at the antics, leaning down to press a kiss on the side of Eric's head. It's quick, fleeting, and when he's done it he pulls back to resume running his hands through the other's hair. Moments pass and there's another knock. Finally deciding to respond, Neal sighs and rests back against the headrest of the couch.

     "Come in." He whispers, knowing the extent of a wolf's hearing capabilities. Knowing that, he also knows that no matter how quiet he is, he'll never be quiet enough not to risk Eric's naptime. He is, in the simplest of terms; lovestruck. There hasn't been a moment since being mates with Eric that he hadn't considered the other some type of god. It might seem like an exaggeration to others, but he doesn't know how else to describe the other. Eric is perfectly sculpted to meet his needs, and wants.

     The door to the cabin opens and Neal doesn't have to look up to know that it's Ian and his twin mates walking in. The weight of the footsteps and the unrecognized, heavier ones, tell him as much.

     "Hey, oh - is he napping?" Ian questions and Neal looks up at him - smiling softly.

     "Yeah, we're heading out today - back to my brothers for a while." Neal explains. He hasn't exactly asked Dayon, but then again, he isn't planning on staying in the small apartment with them. He's okay with sleeping next to his brother for comfort, for safety, but the main reason why he wants to go there is for his brothers to meet his mate. "But don't worry, Ian, if you miss me you can always call me over."

     He finishes his suggestion with a wink, ignoring the holes that are surely being burned into him by his best friends' mates'. Groaning, Ian rubs his temple, huffing slightly. "Still a flirt, I see."

     Yes, Neal concludes, but he can't help it because he's too easy. Leaning forward, Neal grabs a folded blanket at the end of the couch, unfolding it and pulling it over Eric. When his mate is covered and comfortable, he motions to the empty couch with his hand, nonverbally telling Ian to take a seat.

     "So, what's your plan?" Neal asks, curious as ever. Instead of verbally responding, Ian simply motions his head to his mates. Live with them? "You think that's a good idea?"

     Before Ian can respond, or his mates can speak up behind him, Eric is tugging at his shirt - catching Neal's attention and making him look down at him with a hum. "Remember what I told you about your brother? Don't be so overprotective, it's his choice."

     With a raised eyebrow he asks, "I assume you're okay with this decision?"

     Eric nods, pulling the end of Neal's shirt and leaning even closer, nosing at the bare skin of his abdomen before letting the shirt fall over his head. "Of course, I'm the one that told them where Mark would be."

     Confused, Neal looks towards his friend for clarification. Ian sighs at the look, "Your mate ratted out the patch of forest where I would be most likely to hang out if they hadn't bumped into me here."

     What-? "You smell divine, Neal." Eric groans - trying to change the topic.

     Trying to get back to the topic, Neal shrugs off the compliment. "Yeah yeah, just don't-" A sharp intake of breath cuts off his sentence because somehow his mate has both hands around his torso, fingers digging into his sides softly.