43. Family.

Edit/Re-Written: June 30, 2022

     A Knight W/ Shining Eyes: Chapter Forty-Three; Family.

Warnings: none.

IANS POV____

     I had often imagined Shane and Diesel being a lot more joyful - happier when it came to them meeting their real son, or being actual parents. Sure, I had practically been raised by Diesel and his family - having grown up in the Alpha packhouse after my parents had passed away. That didn't stop me from feeling like a burden more than a son, even when I was constantly reassured, I always thought that I had been the cause of my parents death - that I had been born as a mistake.

     Often, I found myself being saved numerous times by Diesel after my suicide attempts. So when he and Shane had decided to have a kid of their own, the only thought that crossed my mind was "Yeah, that makes sense."

     And the only thing me and my wolf - mostly me - could feel was rejection. It's the reason why we ran away and lived alone until stumbling into Neal, a person who became family fairly quickly. Anyways, standing in my parents living room I now know that all of those past insecurities were incorrect. Because they still engulfed me in their arms once I walked through the door threshold, treating me as caring and lovingly as before.

     Nothing's changed.

     My. . .brother sits on the couch across from me, eyes gleaming grey. His blonde, almost white hair flailing over them. Tilting my head to the side, I narrow my eyes at him because he looks familiar. And not in the "well duh, he's got my parents genes" kind of way, but -

     "Do you know Elena?" Lev and Luke ask at the same time, head tilted in the exact same way I have mine. I straighten, knowing we probably look like freaks to my brother. Step brother?

     Said brother's eyes widen, almost looking like they pop out of his skull as he chokes on his hot cocoa. "Holy-" He hits his chest, coughing until he regains his composure. "Poop. Do you mean Elaine?" He doesn't wait for an answer, just blabbering away. "Yeah I know her, she was the pup from the next door pack who came to play with me and my brother."

     "Brother?"

     "Yeah, well, my adoptive parent's son, Elliot Ryder. He was gonna be the Alpha of his pack until the war struck." He trails off with a scratch to the back of his head. Studying him a little more I noticed that he didn't seem remorseful for being here, but maybe he was just an expert at hiding his feelings.

     "What happened to him?"

      "Don't know," He answers quickly with a shrug. "I'm sure he survives, he's stubborn like that." His eyebrows furrow and I can't help but compare the expression to one of Shanes. "I could've sworn that I saw Elaine leading him out of the forest before I ran for cover - can't be too sure though, I was kinda running for my life."

     There's a sensation similar to a blooming flower erupting from my chest - filled completely with relief at that information. Good, she had started her mission; saving someone who had saved her. There's a lot of questions that come with that knowledge. How long will she stay with him? Will she just stay with him until he's safe? And will she be able to be happy on that mission?

     "Do you know Elaine?" My brother asks us back, eyes narrowed as though he finally realized that the question was odd to begin with. In response, my mates grunt, and I can't help but send my brother a soft smile.

     "Yes, these two are Elaine's adoptive older brothers."

     Finally seeming to understand the reasoning behind the question, he snaps his fingers, eyes widening in excitement. "Oh! You're the two dumb ass brothers she always yapped about!"