27. A Fighting Chance

Edit/Re-Written: June 16, 2022

     A Knight W/ Shining Eyes: Chapter Twenty-Seven; A Fighting Chance

Warnings: none

Fluctuating 3rd POV

     They finally arrive in the city, Neal passed out on the shoulder of his mate with his body wrapped up in a blanket that Eric had packed before leaving the pack. Same as when they had left for his pack, they packed lightly - Eric never having taken much aside from clothes to his Pack house and Neal not having anything to begin with. Over the years, Neal saw no use in buying materialistic things. Sure, he had clothes, but clothes were shared with Ian and easily replaceable.

     Squinting, he notices the lightning of the sky and it makes him kind of want to die. Reaching over to the dashboard of the truck, he pulls out some sunglasses and puts them on. He isn't exactly a morning person, but his usual grumpiness is diminished slightly by his mates presence. Finally spotting a local gas station, he drives into it, letting out a sigh and resting his head back when he's parked next to a gas pump. His mate groans next to him at the sudden stop, shuffling awake from the uncomfortable but restful sleep.

     "You tired?" He mutters, a small smile spreading across his lips as he sits up to press a kiss against Erc's cheek.

     "Yep." Eric sighs out, lolling his head to the side to meet Neal's gaze. Their eyes meet and he smiles, leaning to press a kiss to the other's lips. "But we're here, you just have to give me the address to their apartment. And I want to refill the tank before we leave, since we're at the edge of the city."

     Humming, Neal stretches on the seat next to him, kicking off the blanket in the process. "I can drive us there while you take a nap, and I can go pay for the gas."

     Eric nods at the suggestions, giving him his wallet and getting off the truck himself to stretch. From where he stands, he sees Neal walk into the store - trying his best not to limp as his back burns slightly. He doesn't mind one bit, not really. Walking into the store, he looks around the snacks first, deciding on none he turns to get in line - ending up standing behind a group of teenagers. He raises a single eyebrow at the, because it couldn't be past six in the morning, what the hell is a group of teens doing out here - at the edge of the city?

     His eyes snap down to see what they're holding and he snorts when he sees the alcoholic beverages in their grasp. They notice, it's not like he's quiet, and one one of them turns back to face him. Tall, Neal categorizes, having to look up at the teen for their eyes to meet. When they do the other raises an unimpressed eyebrow, clearly irritated. "Can we help you?"

     Shrugging, Neal leans over to the side, seeing the person that was just in front of the teens leave the store. Turning to the teen once more, he responds with "You can move forward and pay."

     It's an innocent suggestion because he's also in line and wants to head to his brother's apartment quickly. The teen grunts, for what reason? Who knows. Neal ignores the tense air as he rearranges his footing, hoping the teen listens and just moves on. Maybe he's grumpy cuz he's tired, Neal ponders with a frown, humming when he notices that the teen doesn't move forward with the rest of the group. The girls within the group turn back at him, probably eyeing at the hickeys that decorate Neal's throat.

     "You need something?"

     "No," The teen shrugs, eyeing his snacks. "I'm just not in a hurry."

     And what the fuck is that supposed to mean? With a glare, he responds with, "I am."

     "Don't see why, you aren't buying anything." The teen states and it makes irritation begin to bubble because there is no way this teen doesn't know about cash gas payment.