42. A Knife in a Word Fight

Edit/Re-Written: June 29, 2022

     A Knight W/ Shining Eyes: Chapter Forty-Two; A Knife In A Word Fight

Warnings: none. 

Fluctuating 3rd POV

     Neal isn't the least bit surprised when he wakes up to Dayon glaring at him from the side of his bed the following morning. With a pout he untangles himself from Eric, pressing a final kiss to the others shoulders before standing up. He knows that Eric had already sensed Dayon, but instead of shifting awake he decided to continue being a boulder of comfort for the snoozing Skylar.

     "I was fine with you going through with whatever you planned but did you seriously have to bring a knife?" Dayon hisses when they've made their way back to the living room area, Neal closing the door behind him as they do.

     "I used the dull side," He whines, tries to reason really. "And I only did it so he wouldn't go screaming your name." His lips purse together in thought, "He did stop struggling when I told him who I was though. . ."

     "Yeah!" Dayon replies with a hiss, arms flailing outwards. "Because I told him I have a literal psycho for an older brother!"

     Interest is peaked at that. "What did he say when you told him that?"

     Stammering at the question, Dayon lets his hands fall back to his sides. "That he would be able to handle you."

     "And he did," Neal beams - like it's a good thing. "He's alive."

     "Gee, thanks?" The sarcasm is evident, Neal decides to ignore it and instead makes his way over to the small living room, falling onto one of the couches with a light groan.

     "What happened after my visit?" He asks instead, Dayon lets out a heavy sigh as he sits down next to him. The nervous thoughts from the previous night are quick to resurface but his brother doesn't look like he's heartbroken, or has had his heart broken by the man he paid a visit to.

     "At first he freaked out; talked about how you were dangerous and that even if you're overprotective of me and Skylar, threatening another with a lethal object still makes you insane. I kinda had to smack him to get him to refocus on me but when he did I took my brotherly role of defending your actions-"

     Neal winces, whining softly as he crosses his arms over his chest. "You didn't have to."

     "Shut up." Dayon barks out, Neal seizes at the words. "Of course I had to. He knows about my past and not about yours. Sure, he knows what we went through - but not that you went through worse or that you saved us. And even when it was dangerous for you to bring a knife, it was probably for self-protection over anything." But it wasn't, Neal wants to rebuttal but decides against it because Dayon doesn't know that. So he simply acknowledges the information and crosses his legs. "He calmed down after that and then we made-out."

     Lackluster reaction, Neal thinks, but retches to keep up appearances. "Is that all?"

     "I mean," His brother ponders, "We fucked too."

     "Baby!" He squeals, smacking the others arms and earning some giggles in return.

     "Okay, okay." They compose themselves once more. "He asked me to tell him about you so I did. I told him that you work out of the city, visit once a month, pay our bills and expenses, the whole sha-bang. When I told him about you probably needing more alone time due to therapy and work he surprisingly asked me to take another step forward in our relationship." Alone time? Neal certainly hadn't expected that, but he doesn't let his confusion show, instead drowning in the rush of happiness and relief that fills him at the news.