Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"Katherine!"

"Mom!"

Jonas and Alexander say at the same time as I stare in horror. I wasn't expecting a welcoming reaction from her, but I didn't expect her to say something so rude right to our faces.

Katherine ignores the two of them and approaches me. I stand quickly, Alexander's hand dropping off me. He tries to grab me, but I step out of his reach.

"How old are you?" She scans me up and down as she asks this.

I knew Katherine and I knew not to cower from her attempts to be intimidating. She would only detest you more if you backed down.

"I'm twenty-two," I answer simply. Alexander sighs and stands up beside me.

Katherine scoffs and looks back to Alexander in shock. "She is the age of my granddaughter! What is wrong with you Alexander? Is this some kind of mid-life crisis?"

I can feel the anger coming off Alexander in waves making me tense as well. "How dare you talk to me like that!"

Her eyes widen at the hostility in her son's voice. "Alexander," she lets out a humorless laugh. "This girl is a child. You are a grown man, if you're going to finally move on from Alexis than find a woman your age. If you're nervous to get back out there I have some girlfriends who have single daughters around your age—"

"Enough!" Alexander shouts, effectively cutting Katherine off. "I am not looking to date mother, I am engaged to be married to this woman who has a name! Stop talking about her as if she weren't here!"

"Is it the sex son? Is that why you're so brain-washed by this girl?" She has the audacity to ask.

And it is not just Alexander that is shaking in anger. "That is enough Katherine!" Jonas explodes from behind her; I had almost forgotten he was here.

Katherine freezes and turns slowly to face Jonas. "Excuse me are you telling me you're okay with this Jonas?"

"Of course I am Katherine because I will support my son and respect his decisions. These two are in love and they will be getting married whether you like it or not," Jonas defends us and it makes me smile. I glance up at Alexander and although he is still clearly angry, his eyes have softened slightly looking at his dad.

Katherine scoffs again. She turns back to us and narrows her eyes at me. "You two are actually getting married?" She laughs. I grab Alexander's hand to try and calm him. "So tell me about this wedding would you? I'm very curious to know," she says sarcastically.

I sneer and squeeze Alex's hand. "We'll be getting married here at the lake on July 17th. We would love if you could come and show us your support. I am head over heels in love with your son and whether you accept me or not nothing will stop me from marrying him," I tell her without breaking eye contact.

Her face seems to twist in surprise and annoyance at my strong statement. Jonas looks slightly surprised as well and I see Rosa cautiously watching us all from the doorway. Alexander lets go of my hand and I immediately look up to him as he pulls me under his arm instead. His anger has dimmed and he now wore a huge smile as he looked at me.

"Do you want money or something? Did you know my family has money?" Katherine breaks our stare and I look back to her with disgust.

"I am not a gold-digger if that's what you're asking. Is it so hard to believe that maybe your son is just an amazing person who I couldn't help but fall in love with?" I ask her and her jaw clenches. "Look Katherine, I'll say this one last time. I love Alexander and nothing you do or say is going to change that."