Chapter 29

Chapter 29

"Make it stop, make it stop!" I mumble while holding my head in my hands. All I can hear is their screaming. What is she doing to them? I need to get out of here. I have to get out of here.

"Please no!" A voice screams out. It's Luna. She's been screaming for too long now. I don't know what they're doing to her, but I know they're doing it to make me crazy.

After my talk with Kain, Matilda brought in her men to drag me back to my cell and two more men who I hadn't seen before had to hold Kain back. I don't know how long I've been in here since, but I had to take the numbing pills two more times. They haven't touched me though, they've only numbed me and then I hear screams coming from Luna and Kain.

"Charlotte!" I hear Kain's voice from a distance.

The pill is starting to wear off, so I drag myself to the door. "Kain, Luna!" I call out weakly. It's frustrating not having full control over my body.

"I see the pill has worn off. I think that means it's time for another one," I see Matilda walking towards me.

"Let. Them. Go. It's me you want Crow, so keep me and let them go," I grunt out.

She tilts her head at me with a smirk. "Let them go, so they can go get help and come back for you? I'm not stupid Charlotte. Besides you and Kain are equally involved in this."

"Soul mates aren't real Crow, if that's why we're here. There is no need for this because soul mates don't exist," I tell her even though I've been thinking more and more about the possibility lately.

Her smirk quickly drops. "You have no idea what you're talking about Charlotte. Take that from someone with much more experience and many more lifetimes than you."

"Okay, so what if they do exist? What would me and Kain being soulmates have to do with you?" I ask her.

"You took away my soul mate."

What?

Before I can respond she shoves her hand through the bars and beckons me to take the pill.

"What if I refuse to take it? You told me if I take it then you wouldn't hurt Kain and Luna, but you did anyway."

She's visibly shaking and I don't know if it's from the mention of her soulmate or my defiance, but I've never seen her lose her composure.

"You don't take it and they both die," she spits out and I know I can't call her bluff.

I grab the pill and the water and quickly take it. "I only knew you for my time in the asylum so I don't know how I could've taken away your soulmate, but you should know I'd never do that purposely," I tell her once her back is turned to me as she starts walking away.

She freezes mid-step and without turning around responds to me, "You knew me before the asylum." And with that she rounded the corner.

I knew her before Dr. Devin? That would mean she had to have been someone from my life as Elizabeth? But I didn't ruin any relationships in that life? I didn't hurt anyone; I didn't do any wrong besides sneaking around with Garrett. Who could she have possibly been? She said Kain was equally a part of this, but how? That means this person had to be in both mine and Garrett's life... None of this makes any sense...

"Mom!" A pained voice calls out and I'm pulled from my thoughts. Luna.

"Luna!" I call back. I hear footsteps quickly coming towards me and I sit up quickly looking out of my cell. Luna suddenly comes racing around the corner, sliding in front of my door.

"Charlie! Oh thank god you're okay!" She says, as she looks me up and down. I do the same to her, noticing bruising in different spots, making me visibly flinch.

"Luna are you okay? What have they been doing to you? I hear your screams..." My voice cracks.

She grabs my hands through the bars and squeezes them. "They hurt me..." I close my eyes in pain, knowing this is my entire fault. "I was trying not to scream, but they'd hurt me more if I didn't. They wanted you to hear me," she whispers in distress.

"I am so sorry Luna, this is all my fault. I am so sorry. You shouldn't be here. You shouldn't have gone through this," I cry out.

She silently cries with me. "We're going to get out of here, that's why I'm here."

It's like I suddenly realize in that moment that she shouldn't be here. "How are you here?" Did they want her to see me like they wanted me to see Kain?

"Please don't blame yourself, but they were going to have one of the men force himself on me," I flinch back in shock. I got my own daughter raped? What kind of mother, what kind of friend am I?

"I said don't blame yourself!" Luna rushes out. "He didn't do it, I got away before he could. Kain and I have been planning Charlie."

"Planning what? How have you seen Kain? Luna what is going on?"

"They have been locking Kain and I in a room to take turns hurting us so you can hear. When they're done they leave us tied up in the room together. We've been planning. This is part of the plan. I told him everything I learned about them since they took me and he made his own observations since you both got here. We are figuring out how things work around here so we can make our escape," her explains quickly, checking over her shoulder a few times.

"How? How can we possibly get out of this?" I ask in disbelief.

"We don't have long. I knocked him out, but they'll notice soon that I'm not there because I'm not making noise. But Kain and I are getting closer to a way out, but we needed you to be aware of our plans. We haven't figured out how we will get you with us just yet, but that's all we need to figure out," she tells me.

"So I'm the only flaw in your plan?" I ask quietly.

She furrows her eyebrows. "I wouldn't call it a flaw, we just need to figure out how to get you trapped in the same room as they put us in."

"So you have a way out if they lock you in that room together?"

She nods, "We know the schedules of the men who guard us, when they rotate, when they check on us, when they leave to meet with Crow. It's then that we can get out. There's a window in the room, it's small, but Kain thinks we can squeeze through, but we'll have to break it and that will get the attention of the guards. We don't know how long we'll have, but it might be just enough to get a head start."

"A distraction," I whisper.

"What?" She asks me in confusion. I feel the numbness taking over slowly as my hands start slipping from Luna's grip. "Charlie?" She asks in concern.

"The pill," I mumble.

"Shit, okay I need to get back Charlie, but hold on we are going to get out of here," she rushes out before dropping my hands and giving me a troubled look.

"Go."

She nods and rushes around the corner. I sit myself in the corner as my body weakens. I just hope she gets back without getting caught.