Chapter 19

Chapter 19

"So now what?" Martha asks me with an intrigued look on her face.

"I don't know... He said he found me attractive. But I got nervous and left. Now he's been gone at work for the past few days and I don't know where to go from here," I say as I nervously play with my hair.

It's been three days since I brought Garrett lemonade and we discovered our mutual attraction to one another. After he told me he daydreamed about my lips I kind of freaked out and left. I mean I've never felt this way before and it overwhelmed me.

Martha laughs. "Honey let it take its course. The two of you clearly like each other, just see what happens next. But no hiding. Or running," she tells me sternly.

I smile sheepishly; clearly Martha has gotten to know me a little too well these past few years. "I just get scared..."

She smiles and rubs my hand. "Love can be scary, but it's an incredible thing."

"Love?" I blanch.

Martha smirks. "Honey, with those eyes you give my brother, it's certainly heading in that direction."

Is it? Am I going to fall in love with Garrett?

Before I can respond the front door swings open and I jump from getting startled.

"Martha I'm back!" A deep voice that I've come to love calls out. Love! There's that word again...

Martha winks at me before standing to greet her brother. "How's Margie? Doing any better?" He asks. Margie came down with a bug a few days ago, but has been doing okay since. I turn to see Garrett standing at the entrance of the kitchen; he glances over Martha's shoulder, finally noticing my presence.

"Elizabeth," he greets with a smile playing on his lips. I give him a shy smile and a wave. "Could I talk to you?" He suddenly asks and my heartbeat picks up in anticipation.

"Uh, yes of course," I say and follow him as he gestures for us to go outside. He leads us back to the porch swing where I left him just a few days ago. I start nervously playing with my hair again as we sit.

Garrett smiles slightly at the large gap I leave between us and not so subtly slides closer to me. "Elizabeth," he says to catch my attention, so I meet his gaze. "Why'd you run the other day?"

"I got scared," I whisper.

He furrows his eyebrows and tilts his head, studying me. "Why?"

"I never felt this way before..." I reveal. I'm not sure why I can't seem to hold back my words around him.

His eyes lighten up slightly and he reaches a hand out to place on top of mine. "Don't be scared. I feel it too."

My eyes widen and dart between his brown ones to confirm he was speaking truthfully. He was.

"Elizabeth, I know we come from very different worlds and it may be a bit of a challenge to be with me, but I want you. I want to be with you," Garrett says earnestly.

"I want that too," I mumble while in a slight trance. His smile widens, so much so that his dimples that rarely showed, made an appearance.

He takes my face in his hands and searches my eyes as he slowly leans forward. "Elizabeth," he whispers again.

_______________

"Charlotte," he whispers again. This time he rushes around the desk to me swooping me up in his arms and holding me to him. I let out a stunned laugh, but hug him back. "How are you here? What's going on?" He asks as he holds me tighter.