Chapter 28

Chapter 28

I'm once again awoken from my sleep, but this time from piercing screams coming from above me. I recognized that voice.

I struggle to stand up, the pill still taking a toll on me. I wince, as the pained yells get louder.

"Kain!" I call out. She said she wouldn't hurt them if I cooperated. I did what she asked. I took the pill. I became immobilized and numb. But she left me after that and never came back. Is that so she could torture Kain? What were they doing to him?

I shook the cage and shockingly the door squeaked open. I am stuck in shock for a moment before my body catches up to my head and I'm darting towards the screams. It was coming from upstairs where we first entered.

I don't even bother looking to see if anyone's around to catch me, all my mind can think of is I have to help Kain. But after climbing up the stairs without catching a glimpse of anyone I try to push back my worry and focus on getting to Kain.

I push open the door and I'm back in the room I died in as Elizabeth. And on the bed is a screaming Kain. I look around in confusion. Where is everyone? Why was my cage open and why is Kain in here alone?

I push back my confusion and rush to Kain's side. As I get closer I notice he's asleep and must be having a nightmare. I gently pat his face, trying to wake him.

"Kain, Kain wake up!" I whisper, afraid someone will hear me and take me away.

I urge him to wake up and shake him a bit more before finally his eyes shoot open and begin darting around the room, which only makes his startled state more shaken.

"No! No! Elizabeth!" He calls out before he finally sees me next to him and his dark eyes lighten slightly. His eyes dart over every inch of me as I stare back unsure what to do.

"Darling," he breaths out, slowly placing a trembling hand on my cheek.

I put my hand over his and lean into his touch. "I'm here," I whisper.

We stay like that for a few minutes, just staring into each other's eyes as he calms down.

"If they wanted to torture me without actually touching me they've succeeded," he whispers as he sits up and looks around the room again.

I grab his hand that slips off my face and hold it tightly between mine. "This is where they're keeping you?"

"Not at first. After they dragged me away they put me in another cell, but then later brought Luna and took me up here," he shakes his head and then suddenly his eyes started darting over me again. "Did they touch you? How are you here? Where are they?"

I bite my lip in nervousness. "No, Crow made me take the pill but after I did she left me alone. I woke up to your screams," I shutter as I think about how hurt he sounded.

"Come here," he says and pulls me onto the bed with him. I lean my head on his chest and he holds me tightly in his arms. "How are you up here?" He asks before I can ask him what he was dreaming about.

"I don't know... My cage was open and there was no one around when I came up here. It concerned me, but all I could think about was getting to you. I thought they were hurting you..."

His hand moves to the back of my head and he gently pulls me back so he can look into my eyes. "They were, just not physically."

I look at him in question and he strokes my hair before sighing. "Charlotte you are the only thing that can truly hurt me. They could torture me physically all they want, but it would never compare to the pain I feel when it comes to you. And they know that..." He clenches his jaw, a pained look crossing his face.