Epilogue

Epilogue

I watch the cop car until it's completely out of sight and even then I can't seem to drag my eyes away from the trees she disappeared into.

My chest feels heavy, with what? I don't know. I still feel panicked and on edge despite seeing with my own two eyes that she was arrested and taken away. Maybe it's the fact that I'm all-alone still. Despite the amount of physical bodies moving around me I feel completely alone.

"Charlie!" My eyes are finally drawn from the trees and I sigh in relief as I see Alexander jogging over to me.

When he finally reaches me he grips my shoulders and studies my face. "Are you alright?"

"I don't know..." I whisper.

"Oh Charlie," he mutters sadly and then gathers me into his arms.

We stay like that for a little while before I decided I couldn't hold back all the thoughts in my head any longer. "Where is everyone Alexander? Why was no one here waiting for us? Who came for us?"

Alex pulls back, but keeps a grip on my shoulders. "They're all here Charlie," he says with a small smile.

"What? Where? Everyone's okay and safe?" I ask urgently.

His smile grows. "Everyone is okay and safe. They're being questioned by the police that is where I just came from. They wanted to greet us right at the door, but the police wanted you to get medical attention first."

His words bring me some comfort, but I don't think I'll be completely okay until I see with my own two eyes.

"Luna they got her back too?"

Alex seems angered by the question and I look to him in fear. "They never had her the second time." I frown in confusion before he elaborates. "They used a recording of her when they first took her to make us believe she was captured again. Luna escaped with Kain. Kain kept her safe Charlie, he kept his promise to you."

My heart starts beating erratically at the sound of Kain's name. Of course he kept his promise.

"Come I think everyone would like to see you," Alex says when I say nothing. He leads me to the back of the house where I assume the questioning is happening.

I don't know why I grow nervous at the thought of seeing Kain again, but my heart starts to race and my breathing gets unsteady.

The first familiar faces I see are my mom's and Jonas' who were talking in whispers with concerned looks on their faces. It wasn't until Jonas caught my eye that he nudged my mom and they both rushed to us.

"Oh god Charlie! You're okay, you're okay!" My mom cries out and wraps her arms tightly around my shoulders. I could feel her tears on my cheek and it caused my own eyes to water.

"Mom," I choke out and she tightens her hold.

"Never scare me like that again, you hear me! I lost your father I cannot bare to lose you too Charlotte," She chokes out.

We pull apart slowly and she wipes hastily at the tears staining her face. "When Luna told me that you sacrificed yourself to get them out," she shakes her head in disbelief. "God Charlotte I want to be mad at you, but I can't. I'm just so happy you are safe now," she whispers and holds onto my hand.

I don't feel completely safe despite her words and despite seeing Crow taking away...

"I'm so sorry mom," I tell her, guilt building up in me knowing how much my sacrifice hurt not only her but also all of the people I care about.