Chapter 30

Chapter 30

They did it. I don't know how, but they got Crow to put us all in the same room. We were all tied up in different corners of a small square room that looked like the office I first found out I was being taken to an asylum as Joanna. I eyed the window that Luna told me about and it was very small, it would take time to get through it, probably more time then we had...

I don't know what happens from here, so I'm waiting on Kain's signal. We've been in here for a few hours now and according to one of the guards we are waiting for Crow to join us.

I turn my head towards Luna and I see her hands wiggling around behind her back. My eyes widen as I see the rope around them loosing slowly. This was one of my worries, how do we get out of the chairs we are tied to? But apparently Luna had this part covered.

I quickly look away so I don't draw attention to her and instead look across the room at Kain who's already looking at me with an indistinguishable expression. I give him a look of confusion and he just shakes his head, looking away. What did that look mean? I've seen that look on him before, but I never quite understood it...

_______________

I'm scared. I'm unsure what to do, but I know what I will have to do if it comes down to it... I look over to Garrett and can feel my heart clench at the thought.

If they find us, I will give myself up to protect him. But I have to hide this from him because he'd never let me sacrifice myself for him. I've been pretending everything is okay and that I'm optimistic, but inside I'm losing all hope. I know he said he would figure it all out and I should have faith in him, but it's hard to do that when all odds are against us.

"Get out here now you fucking—" I instantly cover my ears, unable to listen to the insults he calls Garrett.

Francis is out there with a bunch of his drunk friends and I just know they're here to get Garrett back for what he did to Francis when he tried to take advantage of me. Garrett and I were enjoying a rare night alone, when we heard the front door slam open and a bunch of loud voices charging inside. I instantly locked us in my room, but I know they're on their way up here. I need to protect Garrett. I climb back on the bed next to Garrett and grab the cold metal I keep hidden under my mattress. I stole it from my father after discovering what he was doing to my mother.

I look back to Garrett as the voices grow closer and he gives me an indistinguishable look, almost as if he knows exactly what is going on in my head.

Just as I start to move towards him his eyes widen knowingly. "Elizabeth..." I frown at him as they begin pounding on my door, beckoning us out.

"Garrett, I would do anything to protect you. They only want to get back at you because of you protecting me, it all comes back to me and I cannot let you continue to get hurt by protecting me," I whisper.

"You know I'm more than capable of taking care of myself Elizabeth, even against multiple men." I flinch as he reminds me of the time he was beat up for protecting a maid that was being taken advantage of. He was able to hold his own, but I couldn't bear to see him hurt again.

"I'm sorry," I whisper as I latch the handcuff around his hand. He looks down at it and back at me in disbelief. "Please be quiet," I whisper before he can say anything.

The look he gives me sends a shiver down my spine as I climb out of my window.

_______________

I'm glad I'm pulled from the rest of that memory.

"Well, well, well. Now that I have you all in the same room, what shall we do with you?" Crow says as she walks through the door.