Chapter 21

The closer the plane gets to landing on the runway the more anxiety fills me. I had a few days being distracted from all the chaos that awaits me, but now I'm back and I'm more scared then ever.

Kain squeezes my hand as I stare out the window watching the ground get closer and closer. Closer and closer to the nightmare I tried to forget. But when your daughter is missing and your relationship with her father is crumbling it's not really possible to forget.

"I'm going to be with you every step of the way Charlotte, we will figure this all out together," Kain whispers in my ear.

I turn to look at him just as the wheels of the plane hit the ground and I'm stuck staring into his hazel eyes. And for a moment I picture what our lives would've been like if my father had never killed me in my first life, if we had found each other in every life afterwards, if we had been together all along. Would life have been easier? Would we have been happier? Would we have been able to have each other to lean on when times got hard?

But then I remember that if that had happened I would have never met Alexander and I would have never had Luna. And despite everything going on right now, I would never take back my time with the both of them. I don't know what's going on with Alex and I, but even if things don't work out in the end, I will forever cherish what we had. And Luna... Well I'm going to get her back. I'm not done making memories with her.

"Let's do this," I say to Kain.

It feels strange to be walking to my apartment that I share with Alexander with Kain by my side, but I brush that feeling away because I have way more important things to worry about.

As we approach the door I hear footsteps behind us and for whatever reason it sends a shiver down my spine. I immediately stop walking and Kain looks to me in confusion. When I turn around I find the same man who I had chased after that one day standing behind us.

"Ms. Crow will be pleased to hear you've listened to your instructions. If not I wouldn't be able to leave you with this note," the man says in his deep accent.

I feel Kain seething beside me as he realizes what's going on. "You're the bastard who hurt her!" I grab a hold of his arm before he can charge at him.

The man chuckles darkly as he throws the letter to us. "Well my work here is done, I'll be seeing you."

Kain pulls from my grip and I have to run in front of him to stop him again. I place my hands on his chest as his tense form stares the man down. I hear the elevator open and when Kain relaxes I assume he's gone. Kain meets my gaze and I place one of my hands on his cheek. "You should have let me go after him," he mutters.

"We can't do anything to risk Luna's safety Kain."

His hardened eyes soften and sadness swirls into his eyes. "Open the letter."

I finally break eye contact with him and lean down to get the letter that still lay by our feet. Kain hovers over my shoulder as I open the envelope and take out the letter.

If you're reading this that must mean you listened to me. Wise choice. Hello again Garrett. You must both be wondering who I am and how I know your true identities. Maybe you'll get your answer once you find me. That is if you get here in time. Luna here is waiting on you, wouldn't want another loyal person to lose their life for you two...

"What the fuck does that mean?" Kain hisses from behind me, ripping the letter from my hand.

Another loyal person... But no one died for Kain and I...

_______________

I sit on the back porch starring into the woods hoping for Garrett to emerge. He was supposed to meet up with me today since my parents would be gone most of the day.