Chapter 15

Chapter 15

I rest my head on the table as everyone's voices around me grow louder and louder. It's been one week since Luna was kidnapped. One week since our worlds turned upside down. One week since everything changed, leaving everyone I know and love in a state of panic and anger. It wasn't too long after we got the news that our sadness started turning into anger. Anger at the people responsible for Luna's kidnapping... Anger at ourselves for not being able to do anything.

The day after we found out, I had expected to wake up in Alexander's arms the same way I fell asleep, but he was nowhere in sight. I found a note on the kitchen table saying he was going to find our daughter. I didn't know what he planned on doing or where he planned on going. My mom flew in that afternoon so I met up with her and cried in her arms. Alex came home late that night looking like a disheveled mess. His hair was standing in every direction, his eyes were bloodshot, he had on a tee shirt, sweats and two mismatched sneakers. When he saw me sitting on the couch he dropped himself down next to me and placed his head in my lap as he cried silent tears for our missing daughter.

Now a week later and everyone's anger has kicked up a notch leaving everyone in an irritable state. Wayne and Jesse were arguing over something so little that I forgot what it was about, my mom and Katherine were going at it about our stupid wedding plan cancellations, like that even matters anymore, and Alex was yelling at his dad who tried telling him to relax.

"I don't even know why I let you stay here when you're such an ungrateful asshole!"

"Oh shut up Jesse, it wasn't even a big deal! I stopped didn't I? All you had to do was ask!"

"Do you know how much money I will lose if we just cancel? I paid for the whole thing out of my own damn pocket, so of course you wouldn't care about that! Just reschedule it!"

"How could I possibly reschedule when we have no idea what's happening or what will happen? You have to know how unreasonable you're being about something that really shouldn't matter at a time like this!"

"How dare you tell me to relax! My daughter, your granddaughter is missing, how the fuck do you expect me to relax?"

"Alex, son, calm down. You know I didn't mean anything bad by that, but you need to have a clear mind and if you're this relied up, that isn't possible."

"ENOUGH!" I shout standing up from my seat. The room instantly silences, all that can be heard is my chair screeching across the floor from my sudden movement. Everyone turns to look at me with wide eyes. "You're all yelling and arguing over such stupid things! That isn't going to help us find Luna. What we need is to come together and be there for each other, not down each other's throats. I know we're all worked up and angry with this, but this—" I wave my hands at them hysterically. "—Is not gonna work!" I cry out. I thought I cried every tear my body could handle this past week, but my eyes keep surprising me with more.

Alexander's frown deepens as he stares at me. His eyes soften; sadden upon seeing mine. "You're right," he breathes and everyone nods along to his statement.

Suddenly the door swings upon and in walks James with a few pizza pies. He eyes the room suspiciously. "What'd I miss?"

Everyone eats in silence, almost like they're unsure of what to do or say after my outburst. Alex sits close to me, with a hand on my thigh. I wasn't sure if it was to provide comfort to me, or himself. As we finish up my mom offers to clean up the dishes and surprisingly Katherine asks to help her. Jonas gets up to call Rosa who was currently working, Wayne apologizes to Jesse before taking a seat on the couch, and Jesse starts going through the mail on the counter. James sees my faraway look and gives my hand a squeeze.