Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Dear Elizabeth,

I know the fact that we can't spend as much time together as we would like hurts you the same way it hurts me. So I'm writing you this letter. I'll make sure Martha gets it to you before I get back from the plantation, so you have something to hold onto until you can hold onto me again.

I wish things were easier. I wish being together could be as easy as it feels when it is just the two of us. I wish I could have a job where I can be nearer to you. I wish it could just be the two of us forever, but the world is against us. Despite that I love you Elizabeth. I know I've yet to tell you this, but I've been feeling it for a while now. Who knew I'd be completely enamored one day by my sister's friend who would stare at me through the window as I worked outside. Don't be embarrassed though because I'm glad you stared.

Elizabeth you are everything I've been looking for and everything I've ever wanted in life. I did not even know I was missing you until I found you. And I could not be more grateful that I did find you. I never thought I'd fall in love. I never thought I'd find someone who my soul yearned for the way it does for you.

I can't wait to see you again darlin'. Soon.

Love, Garrett

I hold the letter against my chest trying to contain the massive smile on my face. He loves me. Garrett loves me. I've read the letter over and over again this past few days and my giddiness just increases each time.

I'm impatiently waiting at Martha's for Garrett to get home. It's been almost a week since I've seen him. He was home for a couple of days when he had given Martha the note, but I got sucked into some publicity event with my parents. He was coming home from work any minute now and I was overly excited, leaving Martha completely amused. We were sitting outside enjoying the nice weather.

"Stop laughing at me!" I playfully scold her and she laughs more. "I'm sorry I'm excited! Weren't you excited too the first time Benjamin told you he loved you?" I question.

Martha stops laughing, but a smile remains in place. "Ben told me he loved me within the first week we met. I didn't believe him so I told him you don't joke about things like that and refused to talk to him for a week," Martha recalls in an amused voice.

I smile as I picture her reaction. "Well when did you tell him you loved him?"

She smiled fondly. "A few days after he stopped me from avoiding him. We were both scared at how quick we fell for each other, but it felt right." I nod in understanding. Garrett and I have known each other for about three months now and have only been together for a little over a month. It wasn't as fast as Martha and Ben, but it still felt fast to me.

"So you love Garrett?" She breaks me out of my thoughts.

I feel my face instantly blush at her question. She smirks knowingly and raises an eyebrow. "Gosh Martha I think I've been in love with him since the moment he opened up your door all those weeks ago. Is that crazy? It's crazy isn't it?" My nose scrunches in confusion. Martha keeps smiling at me and shakes her head. "I mean once he opened his mouth and threw a few insults the feeling went away for a little, but not for long"

A loud deep chuckle sounds from behind me and my heart skips a beat. "Love at first sight huh?" I see Martha smirking at me and instantly I knew she knew Garrett was standing behind me the whole time. I glared at her as she laughed before turning around.