Chapter 18

Chapter 18

I fought my own tears as I held a distraught Alexander last night. He didn't understand my need to go and get Kain, but he wasn't going to stop me. He told me he didn't want me to hate him, he said he knew how I got when I set my mind to something and trying to stop me would only make things worse between us. I tried to tell him things between us were okay, but as I said them aloud I could hear the uncertainty in my own voice. I'm sure Alex heard it as well, which didn't help this situation at all.

He was currently driving me to the airport and the silence between us was filled with uncertainty. It was almost like the both of us realized for the first time in a long time that our relationship was not as strong as we had thought. Something was happening that neither of us wanted to address and kept pushing away because of our need to find Luna. I'm not sure what is to come in these next few weeks, but I was not looking forward to it one bit. Either we find Luna and Alex and I will finally have to address the elephant in the room or we don't find Luna and... Let's not think about that...

Alexander parks the car in front of the departures and sits there for a few moments before looking at me. "Please be safe Charlotte, please," he whispers.

My lip quivers at the pain in his voice, that I've caused. "I will, I promise." He nods with a lost look on his face. I could understand that look, Alex has never truly been alone. He's always had either me or Luna or both of us. He's never dealt with this before, not having Luna or me by his side. "I love you my Alexander," I tell him. There might be unspoken tension in our relationship, but I still love him. He will always own a piece of my heart even in my future lives.

His gaze softens at my words. "I love you too My Charlie."

We remain silent after that as we get out of the car and he hands me my bag. I throw it over my shoulder and give him a smile before turning and walking towards the entrance.

The more distance I put between us, the stranger I feel. Like something deeper than me going to Africa for a few days is happening... The feeling overwhelms so greatly that I quickly turn around and rush back to a bewildered Alexander who was still standing there watching me go.

I dropped my bag on the floor and grabbed his face in my hands, bringing his lips crashing down onto mine. He stands motionless from shock for a few moments before responding to my kiss. This was the first time we kissed, at least like this in a long time. His lips moved longingly against mine as if it was the last kiss we'd share. The thought sent an uneasy shiver down my spine as I pull away.

I look into his eyes and they look as unsure as I feel. He must be feeling the same thing as me. Why did that kiss seem so different from any other we shared?

"I have to go now," I whisper.

He looks away from my gaze and nods. "Be safe," he says again and kisses my forehead.

This time when I walk away the strangeness is back, but with less of an uneasy feeling. I shake my head ignoring it and head to the security check-in.

A flight attendant shakes my arm to wake me as I'm informed we'll be landing soon. I don't really know what I'm doing, but I'll do what it takes to find Luna and bring her home. I look out my window watching the landscape as we descend. I can't believe I'm in Africa right now...

Once we land I follow the passengers off the plane and head to the streets where I'll catch a ride to take me the rest of the way. They had small buses to take passengers to the volunteer sights that were still an hour or so from the airport. There are a few people waiting at the spot when I get there.