Chapter 20

Chapter 20

I knock on the door of the familiar red house. It's only been two days since I last saw Garrett, but I miss him. We've been together for only two weeks, but because of his work, I only really see him three times a week.

The door swings open and Martha greets me with a wide smile. "Hello Elizabeth dear, how are you today?"

I feel my lips spread into a wide smile subconsciously. "I'm feeling great! And you?"

She gestures for me to come inside and she shuts the door behind me. "I'm good, Garrett will be happy to see you," she says with a sly smile.

I roll my eyes and she tells me he's in the yard with Margie. She goes back to the kitchen to continue cooking as I make my way outside. The sight before me had my heart fluttering and my chest warming.

Garrett was chasing Margie as she giggled manically. He had a huge smile on his face as he laughed with her. When he caught up to her she squealed in delight as he spun her around. Mid-spin he spots me and his eyes light up. He shifts Margie into one arm as he rushes towards me.

"Hello darlin'!" He says as he reaches me, leaving a small kiss on my lips.

Before I can respond, Martha comes out. "I'm going to steal Margie from you, her supper is ready," she says with a smile as Margie reaches out for her mother. I can't help but smile as I watch their interaction and Martha takes her inside.

"You're really good with her," I turn back to Garrett when they're gone.

He smiles my favorite dimpled smile. "I love kids, it was one of my reasons for moving back here. I wanted to see my niece grow up."

"She's lucky to have you," I tell him genuinely.

"And I'm lucky to have you," he says back and I laugh loudly.

"Really?" I ask sarcastically.

He moves closer to me, so his lips are brushing mine. "Really," he confirms before capturing my lips with his.

_______________

"Charlie?" A voice calls out and it's only then I realize I had paused mid-walk and zoned out while Kain talked to me.

I look to Kain and he's watching me with an amused grin. "What?"

"You're not very subtle when you're lost in a memory," he laughs.

I narrow my eyes at him. "Well sorry, not all of us can be experts at living multiple lives!" My response only makes him laugh harder.

"I've lived longer. You get wiser with age darling," Kain throws an arm around my shoulder as we start walking again.

This makes me curious. "How do you even hide being lost in a memory?"

He glances down at me with a raised eyebrow. "A lot of practice. It's like multitasking. You have to focus on whatever it is your doing while also reliving a memory."

Interesting... I've never tried to hide my zoning out, people who know me either know why I'm zoning out or they just assume I zone out a lot.

"What memory were you lost in?" Kain pulls me out of my thoughts once again and I look up to him with a shy smile.

"It was a couple weeks into Elizabeth and Garrett's relationship and I came to visit. I saw you and Margie playing in the yard," I tell him.

I watch him as he looks ahead with a smile forming on his lips. "Most of my favorite memories are from that life..." He drags out.